VAT on new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm told by my architect that new-build properties (or in my case, a separate self-contained annex to an existing property) is exempt from VAT.
:?: 1: Does that mean that a contractor (e.g. groundworks bloke, plumber, sparks, etc.) will not charge me VAT on his bill?
:?: 2: Will major suppliers (e.g. Double glazing supplier) also not charge me VAT on their bills?
:?: 3: If I go and by some architrave to put around the doors (for example), the local timber yard will charge me VAT, won't he? But wouldn't the materials used also be exempt from VAT?

Please could someone explain the VAT position on new build :confused:

Sponsored Links
The HM Customs website mught help you out.
did a quick search and found this, but there might be more on the subject.

Yes they will charge you VAT, they have to by law. It is your job to claim it back on completion (you wouldn't expect all the trades to do this paper work for YOU !).

Sponsored Links
That is half of it you will have to pay VAT on all materials and claim it back.
All labour should be supplied to you without VAT
If a worker supplies his own materials then you should pay him the total amount for the materials including VAT, his labour should be without VAT and he claims back the VAT on the materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back