VAT rate on upgraded sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my sipplier suggests I check the VAT rate I should be charged for the the work he is providing. He suggests I may be eligible for the 5% rate as I'm going from a single pane to double glazed and overal low u. The job is manufacture and installation of new sliding box sashes into the existing casements. I've looked on HMRC site and got confused. Any advice if 5 or 20% is the correct rate welcome. Also what admin, if any needs doing first?

Sponsored Links
I think you will find your supplier has that wrong.... I beleive your rate of VAT will be 20% unless your are converting a building that once was not a dwelling ( eg old school , fctory etc ) into a dwelling , then you will qualify for 5% VAT

Thanks Ronnie.

The building has just been given planning approval for conversion from a commercial building to 3 self contained flats.
Since my post I read more on the herc site. Although I will take financial advice it seems that the whole conversion may be zero not just 5% (excluding architect fees)

Sponsored Links
ah yes conversion from non dwelling to dwelling is 5% VAT , but it will only apply if the guys are actually fitting the windows , if supplying only then it is 20% but you can personally reclaim the other 15% when you are finished the project. I will be surprised if its 0% as I thought that was only for complete New builds, and again providing it is fitted by the supplier , not supplied only. I am intrigued to find out what your financial advice comes back with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back