Vauxhall Astra cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, Can anybody help me. Just brought a 53 reg Vauxhall Astra 1.6i, 8 Valve. 77000 miles and drove lovely most of the way home. First thing i noticed was the speedo jumped up and down but showed the correct speed most of the time, Secondly occasionally when stopping at a junction etc it would just cut out but when start again. Are these 2 issues linked? and will it be expensive to cure? Got my fingers crossed. Many thanks pen4uk

Sponsored Links
I am not familiar with the Astra but from your description, I would go for a faulty wiring connection somewhere. Where you can, unplug any accessible plugs and squirt some WD40 or other maintenance spray into both sides of the plug and reassemble. This may cure your problem but if it does not, then look for any wires that are broken. If a multi strand wire is near to breaking, this can cause a high resistance to the flow of current. Also check and clean any earth connections on the body.

When the car restarts after stalling the starter will make the engine shake, this will move any wire close to the engine and remake a dodgy connection. Until the next time.

Has the engine management light come on at all? Maybe there are fault codes stored - either present or historic.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It might sound daft but numerous electrical faults occur when the ignition coil pack is on the way out and once the coil pack is replaced the other problems disappear.

Back