Vauxhall Astra deisel - oil in water tank?! Please help!

I'm pretty sure the oil cooler on these is a small finned box bolted to the oil filter assembly, which has to be removed so the cooler can be unbolted.
Maybe there's a YouTube on it somewhere? Maybe google the thing so you can see what it's like.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've been researching (as one does when ones in need of info) and I seem to be coming across a few site with people saying it's a common problem with this type / engine for the oil cooler / intercooler to go... is this correct?

I really don't think it's the head gasket... there's no mayo, she's running smooth - no loss of power, no steam or smoke coming from exhuast, water level remains same, so does the temp gauge (doesn't go over half) and no Wat in oil....

Sure is puzzling! !

Common enough it seems, and thankfully the head gasket would appear to be intact!
Don't worry - the oil will be back when there's enough heat and / or pressure in the system.

I appreciate your reply John, thank you.
I can't seem to find on Google or YouTube, but still looking.. would you be able to give me a more detailed (in lay mams terms lol) description of where I can locate the oil cooler?

Sponsored Links
I'm taking it to various friends today who all each know about cars to some degree. One of which is convinced it's the head gasket.... so hopefully will know more later :)

Please don't quote me on this one, but the oil filter is under a large black plastic cap, engine front, just to right of centre. The oil cooler is below that, and won't be that friendly to access - it may involve removing the radiator, unfortunately.
So - if the cylinder head gasket has failed, you get vast amounts of high pressure gas forced into the cooling system. This causes - naturally enough- the coolant to be contaminated and blown out at high pressure. Once failed, the gasket doesn't mend itself, and a garage may do a compression or sniff test to confirm their diagnosis. Oil cooler failure only allows oil into the coolant ( and vice versa) - it doesn't introduce any gases so at this time we have to suspect the oil cooler first. Apparently it's quite a common failure and much cheaper than a head gasket so it's fingers crossed for that!

Friend is saying there in no oil cooler? has told me to buy some sort of sealant to tip into the water tank.. If it's not the oil cooler what can it be? Is the only other option the head gasket? I'm baffled because she's running ok

I'm sure there will be an oil cooler, but sometimes they aren't particularly recognisable ......some are in the form of a chamber that the oil filter screws on to.
Sealants are available, they are claimed to work.......most don't but it doesn't stop people buying them!
Why not call in at an independent garage for an opinion? There's every chance they are familiar with that engine.

The 1.7 dti engine has an oil cooler. Trust me i own two cars with them.

Very common and as John says not friendly to replace. Look to the right at the back of the engine bay. Below the hoses, wires and oil filter housing you'll see it. Google it so you know what it looks like. A sealer will be a waste of time. This isn't a small leak!

Update, took her to the garage and he said it wasn't head gasket. It's the oil cooler or turbo.
basically told me it was ok to keep driving, and suggested to run a jet wash through it, to remove oled oil..

Have a new problem with the car now......just made a new thread.

More trouble than what she's worth me thinks!!

The turbo on these is not water-cooled, AFAIK, so it's most likely to be the oil cooler.

Keep an eye on the oil levels! Oil in the water will do no good for cooling.

Sponsored Links
Back