vauxhall combo 1.7 diesel water pump leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Van cut out today on an A road. It would not re start so I managed to pull over. Popped the bonnet and one of the heater hoses had split. Went to the shop and got a replacement hose. Upon re filling the coolant system, water was being lost from what looked like the main bulk of the engine. Finally noticed it was right on the auxiliary belt so I assume it needs a new water pump.

Have purchased a new pump and gasket. Seemed simple enough looking at the Haynes manual( I am a heating engineer, so am hands on) but I could not for the life of me see how to loosen and remove the belt. Could someone take me through how to change a water pump please?
Need to do this first thing in the morning so advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Usually the tensioner itself is spring loaded.....is there a bolt head in the centre of the tensioner that once you get a spanner on, levers the tensioner off the belt?
John :)

To be honest john I'm not 100% where the tensioner is. There is the pulley with three bolts that connects to the water pump then there is another pulley and bolt directly below that? I might be being thick but the pictures in Haynes are no help

Scratching the memory cell......the tensioner will have one small pulley with one centre screw / bolt or whatever. The theory is, you put a spanner or Allen key maybe onto the bolt and the turning force moves it out of the way.
The tensioner is fixed into its own sprung boss, I think.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It seems so simple in the book! There is a pulley with a centre bolt, I undone the bolt an nothing happened. I don't want to damage anything or have the belt ping off but I need to have a go in the morning as my mechanic is fully booked.

Look for something like this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEBI-3197...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ecc21786c

You don't undo the bolt holding the back bit to engine you put a spanner on, using ebay image, the bolt you can see on the front pulley.

Turn the bolt away from the belt and you will release the belt tension. Remove belt while turning the bolt.

There is normally a hole in the front bit and a corresponding one in the back bit so you can insert a bit of thin rod, or allen key, to hold the tension off of the belt.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If you're undoing the bolt then you're turning it the wrong way.

Turn the pulley bolt until it's tight, then a bit more and it'll start rotating the tensioner off the belt. There's only usually 2 flat pulleys (a tensioner and perhaps an idler) so you have at least a 50/50 chance of turning the right one.

I just undone the bolt.... My bad

So I want to turn the bolt clockwise then? Shall have a go tomorrow

Sponsored Links
Back