Vauxhall Combo Drive Problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a Combo van for work and run around, I had a problem driving when I lost Drive Power, Roadside assistance came along tried the van , No problem,
drove it back home,
Garage checked it out seems ok, but I did notice a slight loss of Drive Power which corrected itself,
Garage seems at a loss
could it be the start of clutch problems or gear box problems, someone suggested it could be the splines of the drive shaft not meshing together,
Sounds expensive to me

Sponsored Links
I think this has to be a clutch problem.....drive shaft spline issues means one hell of a racket!
My guess - and that's all it is - is that the clutch pressure plate has a problem with its diaphragm spring, but why it should go away is anyone's guess!
John :)

I had this happen once on a Citroen XM, on the M5 just outside Exeter, it was due to the centre bearing on the o/s drive shaft failing and allowing the shaft to slide out of the diff.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I think this has to be a clutch problem.....drive shaft spline issues means one hell of a racket!
My guess - and that's all it is - is that the clutch pressure plate has a problem with its diaphragm spring, but why it should go away is anyone's guess!
John :)
I appreciate this is an old thread, but my experience of a similar problem may help someone else...I often leave my van in 1st gear on the drive, as it's steep. I often forget this and try to start the engine in 1st gear. I quickly realise this and dip the clutch, producing a clunk sound as the tension is released from the drivetrain. The engine starts, and off I go.
A few weeks ago I did just the same at the ex's house (a steep drive also, it's not called HIGH Wycombe for nothing), but immediately after I lost all drive and there was a tinney sound for a short while, which died away after several seconds. I was convinced that I had ripped the centre out of the clutch friction plate.
My lovely daughter towed me the short distance home, the tinney sound continuing even though the engine was off and the gear selection was in neutral...hmm, it didn't make sense; the power from a starter motor should not be sufficient to break a clutch friction plate. Long story short...a further inspection revealed that the left side drive shaft had pulled free of the gearbox output shaft, a simple push back in was all that was needed.

Now, fellow Combo-ers, this may not be your problem, but it's one to consider.

MM

Back