Vauxhall Combo Woes

Yea, I used lithium grease but could use something different if you think that's not enough?

What else is there to change? I changed all 3 parts on the left in this photo (not mine). All that's left is the rod that goes into the gearbox, and the gear stick & rod assembly. And of course, the gearbox.

IMG_20150619_143004 (Large).jpg

The old one was floppy as anything when I took it out so definitely needed doing (was a metal one so could have got a repair kit, but given it took 2 minutes to fit the new one after getting the old one out, glad I didn't bother)

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd look at the bottom of the gear stick itself, and the underside connection into the linkage.
That looks a good bit of kit you've fitted - there's nothing wrong with that.
John :)

I'll take a look, but from what I've seen, to remove the gear stick in a corsa you basically have to destroy it and fit new.

It's definitely worth looking at though. What exactly am I looking for? Wear/play?

Yea I got a genuine GM one for £60 on eBay. Could have gone aftermarket for £30-40 but really didn't see the point.

I'm not familiar with that particular set up, but presumably underneath the car there's a linkage that goes from the bottom of the gear lever to forward? I'd be looking for wear and play there, bearing in mind that small movement there will be magnified a fair bit further on.

Sponsored Links
AIUI, the gear lever in the car connects to a straight rod, which connects to the left side of the linkage in the photo above, the middle of which pivots on a pin through that centre hole with the black cap on top, and the white ball joint on the right is connected to the gearbox with the split pin.

This is the gearbox, that rod connects to the selector. They're not great photos, but I'm wondering if (in the last photo) the white part at the bottom, or the off white part above it is worn, allowing me to actually push the gear stick too far to the left (even if it's just by a few mm)

Can you tell I'm clutching at straws?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
For sure, if that ball was worn at the bottom of the lever, it wouldn't push the rod far enough......that's what happens with Citroen, Renault and Peugeot which have similar systems.
At least its worth seeing if yours has dried out.....but I don't want to see you wasting your brass by saying that's definitely the problem.

It's not so much the cash I'm worried about, more the time, literally have no clue how I would remove the gearstick with the rod attached, it's not like a car where there's a nice space behind the two front seats, there's a big bulkhead in the way!

Back