Vauxhall Vivaro problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just noticed this forum, and realising that it is a good one, i would appreciate some advice from somebody about my van. I have a 52 plate lwb vivaro that has now done 84000.

I bought the van 24 months ago with 67000 muiles on the clock, and it now has 84000 on the clock. Last year i had to replace the gearbox as it just stopped changing gears. This cost me nearly 2k along with the clutch assembly. The van had previously been a hire van so has had a lot of drivers.

Over the last week or two, when is tart the engine i have difficulty in changiong the gears, but with the engine not running, it is fine. After a few miles the gear changes get smoother. Can anybody tell me the reason? Is it low on oil or something? I had no handbook with the van so i don't actually know the level, but assume you would fill until it starts running back out of the filler.

There is also a tube sticking up into the engine bay from the gearbox, so is this the filler?

The last problem is a noise from the suspension. This seems to come and go, but is noisy when riding the bumps. Is this the bushes on the suspension. I have jacked up the front end, and with both wheels off the ground, when the steering wheel is turned, it makes a creaking noise. Any ideas please.

Sorry to be a nuisance, but one last problem is the locking. The key wiorks most of the time, but now and again it wont lock the vehicle, but as soon as i start the engine, drive somewhere and park up, the locks work again normally. Does anybody know the answer.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Stiff gears at start up - oil is cold? Although the fact that they shift when engine not running could indicate a clutch problem ie not disengaging fully.
Check clutch fluid level, clutch adjustment [if any - we have a Vivaro but I'm not sure what 'underneath the bonnet' looks like!].
Drop into a Vauxhall centre & they will check the oil level for you while you wait, probably for nothing if they're nice people and you express and interest in a new van before you ask them!!

The bumping suspension is probably a bush, if it's creaking it's well on it's way out rather than gone. There isn't really a way of glancing over to work out which one it is. You need to inspect the end of each bush and look for scuffing or burring. Could be in the ends of the wishbones or anything.

Does the central locking play up in one particular place or is it anywhere at any time or works intermittently in one place?
If it's always at the same place it could just be radio waves interfering with the signal. Alternatively it could be the batteries in the key or a dodgy wire on the locking ecu.

Sponsored Links
Back