Vectra main bulb changed but still won't work ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Main Bulb doesn't look blown but changed it ,it still doesn't work ,other lights look ok ..is it likely to be wiring issue ..cheers

Sponsored Links
OK, is the connector a two or three wire one?
(Twin filiament bulbs have three connections - one to each filiament and an earth.)
John :)

Sponsored Links
It's only got one wire going to the connector.its the middle bulb,there's a smaller bulb above and below

Try connecting a wire lead between the metal part of the bulb and a suitable metal part of the car......that replaces the earth connection of the lamp cluster.
Failing that, check for 12v at the bulb lead.

Ok thanks will check tomoz ,if there is no 12v power at the bulb end will that proberly mean it's wiring problem

Actual wiring issues are pretty rare, problems usually stem from the column switch, dashboard main switch or a relay. However, you do say that all of the other lamps are working as they should.....do check them again because they are usually wired in pairs.

Yes all other bulbs are on just that one bulb doesn't light up ..if I can't find what wrong it .would it be possible to wire off another lighting wire ,say one of the smaller bulbs or the other main bulb that works in the other light ..cheers

I cant see one bulb having its own dedicated fuse and/or relay, so it would seem that there is a wiring issue. An obvious fix would be to wire the dud one in parallel with the same bulb on the opposite side but I would trace the problem wire as far back as is possible.
I have to say wiring faults aren't common, (where the wire doesn't flex) but corrosion on block connectors and earths most certainly are.....check out any block connectors in that area.

Does it use a bulb failure warning system on the dash?
I seem to remember doing one of these and it took a while for it to recognise the bulb change and extinguish the dash warning.

I would double check the bulb connection as it sounds as if it still thinks there isnt one fitted. It wont hurt to spray a small amount of wd40 into the bulb connections, you can then insert and remove the bulb a few times to clear away any corrosion that might be present.

If waiting does not solve it then a little testing will be needed.

You need to see, when connected, what voltage there is to the chassis of the car on EACH of the connectors.

I once had a car with a seperate fuse for each headlamp bulb but dont remember which one.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back