Vehicle Thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving to a hillier place in the country but will need a trade vehicle for transporting tools and wheelbarrows and sometimes some timber and other bits an bobs (landscaper and soon to be handyman too)

So, getting rid of the Transit as I feel I want a 4x4 vehicle, but dont know anything about them. Is there a stand-out 4x4 with decent carrying space on the market?

Just throw some possible models at me as I really am not into cars at all so don't know where to begin my search!

Sponsored Links
Mitsubishi L200, or the Toyota equivalent - either twin or single cab, bullet proof engines and transmissions, crap rust proofing.
Nissan Navarra's are starting to pop their engines.
Avoid Izuzu powered things around the 2001 to 2005 - SERIOUS injector issues!
John :)

Ok here's the thing - I deffo need a new vehicle now (the tranny is 12 years old, albeit with low milage (90K). Trouble is, I really fancy a pickup but I KNOW a van is a better idea, from a practical point of view.

Someone convince me that a pickup is a bad idea!

mileage
insurance
cost of parts

anything to stop me buying one!

:D

Sponsored Links
I've got a Mitsubishi L200 and they are great motors - plenty of people use them in the trades - go anywhere, and you can put a carrybody on the tub giving you some good load-carrying capability.

Can carry 1 ton in the tub and tow another ton.

Other 4x4 pickups are the Toyota Hilux (will be pricier), Nissan Navara (will be breakdownier) and Ford Ranger. Check out forums for each and ask on these what you should be looking for / likely prices, etc.

:D That's not really helping! I need to be convinced its a stupid idea.....

but thanks for the input

Google L200 Forum (hint - there is one that charges you, and one that is free - go for the free one!) and ask for buying advice there :D

Two obvious issues with using a pickup are:

1. Security - you can put on a hard top, but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a pickup. Or install a tool safe - or side hung tool boxes. But these possibilities have their own drawbacks.

2. The weather - the weather ...

Trouble is, I really fancy a pickup but I KNOW a van is a better idea, from a practical point of view.

Someone convince me that a pickup is a bad idea!

anything to stop me buying one!

You already know the answer. A van is much more practical for you. But, sometimes you can justify something however you wish - like working in a hilly part of the country, but it comes down to you want something just because you want it. Buy one just to get it out your system if nothing else, but buy wisely so that you won't lose a fortune when you go back to a van a bit later on. Or buy a newer van which will be much comfier and better specced than your older one.

Sponsored Links
Back