Vehicle with less complicated electronics.

... substituting from other cars does not always work as they are usually paired to the car.
I have been told by several people that at least on Peugeot models their modules can only be programmed once from new, they cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle.

This means that it is necessary to replace all of the modules from the same donor car.
Reassuring when you have a Peugeot like I do!
I'd assume that they are something like the old "programmable logic" modules once used in industry, in that they are programmed by "burning out" links of some kind. So once "done" that's it for that unit.
Still begs the question why, engine management apart, this stuff has to be coded at all. A set of lights on one vehicle is much like that on another after all. Built in obsolescence? Big profits from repairs? Who knows the reason.
Of course the other thing that begs a question is why they fail at all in any number. They should be bullet proof, and put somewhere out of harms way where they won't fill with water.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses.

To clarify: The BCM controls interior lights, indicators, door locking and immobilisation. The ECU controls the engine stuff.

I went to a local Renault dealer, who was very helpful, and explained all of my options. A second hand BCM (£100ish) could be re-programmed, complete with a new set of keys, £100 (I didn't shop around). If I tried to check the module and got it wrong, the van would be immobilised, and a tow truck, would be first on the bill. My BCM could be repaired.

I chose to get a new one. The dealer said before ordering he would check it out on his diagnostic machine, which pointed to the indicator stalk. I had checked the stalk before, but not the resistance between the pins when 'not indicating' it showed 1KOhm. I stripped and cleaned it internally with circuit cleaner, and it cured the problem. The vehicle has had prolonged damp, and the problem is an old fashioned problem, so I can't blame Renault's modern electronics.

I've calmed down a bit and now and I'd like to stick up for this van. I've had the van for nearly 10 years, and I have only just changed the original battery, and starter motor. Apart from that I've only changed tyres and brakes. so this has been a good reliable vehicle.

Having said all this, I still think there is room for vehicles with less complicated electronics, that could be repaired by a handy man. I don't think I'd go back to those happy times I had with my ex post office Sherpa's.

Camerart.

If the BCM does the alarm and immobiliser, that's fair enough. Why do the normal running lights need to go through it though? Because it's there I suppose!
You saying about attempting to read the thing causing problems reminded me of something that the service manager at the local dealer told me after I'd had a towbar fitted by them. They had a bloke who fitted his own towbar, got it wrong somehow, and ended up damaging the engine. I'd stress that he did tell me after they had done it and I'd paid! And yes it was a bit "Ouch!"

Sponsored Links
Back