Velux - Double or Triple Glazed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We will be converting a shed adjoining our house into extra living space and to keep our privacy (and our neighbour's privacy) we are planning to fit three large (1.34 x 1.4 m) and I would like your thoughts on whether we should get the double or triple glazed pane fitted ino the Veluxes?

The windows are planned to be in the new living room (x2) and my study (x1), in a South facing roof. They will be connected to teh rooms through light-tunnels and, as such, will be the single highest point in each room so, as heat rises, I thought that triple glazed would be better. However, having discussed my plans with colleagues, they think it's overkill and I'd be better off saving the money by just getting double glazed units. The price difference is £440 for three windows.

Any thoughts? Thanks, David

Sponsored Links
No point having triple glazed if the heat will be lost out through any other part of the room, is it going to be sufficiently insulated?? The veluxes should give you a u value regarding energy efficiency

Hi DHFrames,

The remainder of the conversion will be insulated, I'm waiting on the builders getting back to me with a quote and breakdown but my thoughts are as close to 100mm insulation panels on the walls (single-skin block), vacuum insulation panels on top of the concrete floor and glass wool in between the ceiling and loft floor.

I know it's a trade-off between losing as little possible heat against keeping the largest floor area but I could save some money for extra insulation by going for double-glazed Veluxes, about £450 in total. Any further thoughts for me to consider?

Thanks, David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back