Velux flashing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I've purchased a Velux window that came with an old flashing kit. It looks like an EDZ to me - can anyone confirm?

I plan to use these with Marley Ashmores at 24 degrees (Duo interlocked tiles)

Is my understanding correct that Velux used to recommend an EDZ for my situation, but now recommend EDP. However, there's no reason an EDZ won't work?

Assuming this is an EDZ, how proud of my tile battens should the top of the Velux frame be - I've not seen this dimension on the instructions, and don't have the corner brackets/jigs to make it easy for me.

Thanks!

Gary

Sponsored Links
You are missing the foam splash suppressors also so throw that flashing kit away.

The Velux sits on top of the battens via the corner brackets. I think the old ones used to have a choice of slots in the corners depending upon tile profile etc, which meant that the Velux could sit higher or lower.

Are you saying you don't have the corner brackets?

I would be tempted to throw the lot in the bin. It takes a lot of care and a number of man hours to install these things so fitting a second hand partially complete Velux sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I've got two of these so they (the windows not the flashings) owe me a bit too much to throw away... I'll solider on! I want to use them for a lean-to sun room (not part of the main house) so I'm happy to put the fiddling hours in to get them right.

I have two boxes of corner brackets with them, but I've no idea what to do with them because they don't look like the brackets that Velux have on their PDF's:

Okay change of plan - I'm going to fit them side by side so for a tidy job will set them 100mm apart and get a coupled flashing kit. Hopefully that'll include some new brackets too.

Sponsored Links
The flashing kit will not have any corner brackets.

As i have said, there is a dedicated slot or slots into which the corner brackets sit, which allows the Velux to sit in a predetermined position relative to the height of the roofing battens and tiles.

The brackets are positioned in such a way that the Velux is 'submerged' slightly below the level of the battens, leaving a certain amount of window showing above.

You need to suss this out prior to fitting the corner brackets and don't fit them in a position that is likely to interfere with the flashing kit later on.

The Velux brackets sit on dedicated roofing battens that are positioned relative to the top edge of the last course of tiles (measured 80mm up) at the bottom of the window. The top batten is positioned the length of the window plus 45mm up from the bottom batten.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back