Velux window installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to seek some advice.

I've had 4 velux windows installed and have a number of concerns about the way they have been fitted;

1. All but one window appear have no trimmers between the rafters, which I would have thought would support the top and bottom ends of the rafter that has been removed. I've questioned this with the builder and he says they are not necessary as the rafters are supported top and bottom within a few feet by steel lintel and studded wall, however it doesn't make sense why they did put trimmers on one window (the first one they did) when the support for the rafters is in exactly the same position as the others. Is this a case of short cuts being made? :rolleyes: . Are there any circumstances where it is not necessary to fit trimmers to the rafters around a velux window? The rafters are quite deep approx 8". It seems to me that they might be relying on the batons for structural strength???? which is not the purpose of the batons.

2. Its become apparent that one of the windows would not quite fit between the rafters (with one rafter removed) and so, rather than putting in another rafter alongside and cutting the existing rafter away, they have actually cut down / planed / hacked each side of the velux frame taking approx an inch from each side. I am quite appalled at this and sure it will have voided the warranty. Also not sure how the standard fixings would work with most of the frame missing :eek: . Surely this is not a normal practice within the trade??? I supplied all the windows and on this one payed over odds for a more sound proof window (GHL 3060) as it is my daughters bedroom.

Not sure what to do now. I have not payed them and explained my issues with the work and that I would be seeking further advice. Thing is I don't really want them back now even to put it right..... I could probably do a better job myself of putting the trimmers if necessary. But I'm left with a ruined window, void of warranty.

Anyone any advice??

Sponsored Links
Photos please...pinenot :unsure:

I could post photos but would not show much as the offending bits or lack of are now boxed off (maybe in an attempt to hide the poor work?).

From the outside the windows look great and appear to be fitted as well as the other ones fitted when the house was built.

I know there are no trimmers to the rafters as i could see before they finished off but didn't know then that it could be a problem.

re The planed/ cut window. I know this as my wife saw them doing it (but didn't know it was potentially wrong) and also there is barely space to fit the plaster board between the rafter and the visible part of the frame.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back