vent pipe constantly running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A couple of months ago I noticed that the vent pipe which runs into my loft tank had started continually running hot water whilst the system was running.

I have a Grundfos 15-50x18 pump which has 3 settings, at the time the pump was set to 2. When I turned it down to 1 the water ran out the vent pipe faster and when I turned it up to level 3 it stopped running – so I left it there and it seemed fine for a while.

Now it has started running again even on level 3. I have had the silver disc off the front of the pump and the spindle seems to be turning fine. I have been told that this is a bleed screw but it just slowly drips water when opened.

Generally the water and central heating seems to work otherwise, though I have occasionally had issues with the downstairs radiators not warming up, although that did seem to cure itself.

The boiler is a Glowworm MkII.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks v much.

Mark.

Sponsored Links
probably a blockage near where the cold feed from header tank joins system, this pumping over will cause serious corrosion and sludge build up. flushing and cleaning strongly recommended

markbrum said:
When I turned it down to 1 the water ran out the vent pipe faster and when I turned it up to level 3 it stopped running.
That doesn't make sense - I think you'll find that you've got those two settings the wrong way around.

I have occasionally had issues with the downstairs radiators not warming up, although that did seem to cure itself.
I think you're being a bit naive - if the problem was intermittent blockages then the debris is still in the system.

As bengasman has pointed out, your problem is a very common one and you'll find lots of information in the Wiki and FAQs, but when you've read it then come back here if you need specific guidance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back