Vent pipe not pointing inside header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Our ch is heating water and upstairs rads, but not downstairs. I've bled all rads and pump. The pump itself is red hot and makes a whirring then clicking sound. I've took the screw cap off and the internal motor thing can be turned with no issues. (it's this which is whirring then stopping).

I've noticed that the vent pipe in the loft isn't feeding into the eh header tank, it looks like someone moved it precisiously and now the pipe is above the tank but pointing outside of it( about 5 cm away, pointing down, towards the floor of the loft).

Can this be affecting the cold water feed to the pump? We had our pump replaced twice over the last year cos of this issue and the issue isn't going away, and I don't want to have to fork out for another pump if the issue is coming from something else.

Any ideas folks? I've search these forums and tried all the other tricks, but I'm stuck now!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
First, the vent pipe should be over the header tank, but will not affect the pump. Rather, in the event of pumping over, you will have to redecorate the ceiling:)

Have the 2 previous pump replacements temporarily solving the problem? If so, prepare to consider the pump failures as effects rather than cause.

Haha thanks, I've moved the pipe back over the tank now.

Yeah, I think so too, will need to get a pro round as I'm out of ideas. The pump is on, so air locks in rads, it's spinning in "pulses," and the spindle turns ok. Just want the cause fixing and not another pump being wacked in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back