Ventilation Of a Habital Room Without A Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a question regarding Approved Document F - Ventilation - 2010 Edition.

Paragraph 5.15 states:

5.15 A habital room not containing openable windows may be ventilated through another habitable room if:

A. There is, from the habital rooms to outside, provision for both:
i. Purge ventilation with total area given in Diagram 3 based on at least the combined floor area of both habital rooms; and
ii. Background ventilation of at least 8000mm-squared equivalent area; and

B. There is a permanent opening between the 2 rooms as given in Diagram 3 based upon the combined floor areas.

We are satisfied with the part A, the purge ventilation satisfies the 1/20th of combined floor area of the rooms and we easily have the 8000mm -squared trickle vents over the new windows.

My question is regarding the B. statement. When looking at Diagram 3, there is not any guidance given regarding the size of the opening between the two rooms which is supposed to be based upon the combined floor areas. Is there a minimum sized aperture necessary to qualify for this method of ventilation, or will any size aperture work?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back