Venting Shower From Loft Downwards & Out Thru Bathroom W

JSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I have this job to tackle on the horizon next few weeks.

Stone cottage 21 inch thick solid walls, single storey, no soffit/overhang to vent out the extractor ducting in loft above shower room.

I have bought one of these ....

Manrose Complete Bathroom Shower Inline Light Extractor Fan Centrifugal Fan Kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manrose-C...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3cbd2e15e2

Now in the shower room there is a twin concrete block cavity wall , where the doorway was previously walled up. So is it ok for me to vent this ducting downwards from loft , with it being concealed by the shower room dry lining cavity , and for me to put out the holes in the twin block to the outside ?

The vent grill (from the outside ) will be about 2 foot off the ground, below a window.

Will the fan cope , and is it doable , as I don't fancy punching through a 21 inch stone wall !!!

I don't have any diamond cutters, so am thinking of using a masonry bit to drill out a series of holes in the block then chisel out

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Cheers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Update.

Today, whilst looking at best waste pipe run for new shower/sink , I re-examined the 21 inch think stone wall which sits about 6 inches behind where the end shower stud/dry line wall we be . (tile backing that). Anyhow at the base there is a inbuilt chimney (half filled in, unused, but stone lintel is solid )

Now the other half is the builders opening which extends appx. 14 inches recessed into the gable end of the 21 inch stone wall. Ahaaa I thought, almost out here.... , so from the inside I started to tunnel the old mortar and work a few stones loose and punched a crow bar through to the outside.

So, after removing (via splitting) a few more small stones from outside I now have a good 4 x 5 inch hole , from which 2 metres away lies a manhole drain for the wc waste pipe.

So I'm thinking of connecting the basin and shower waste to that drain. Got enough fall, so will punch through and cement pipe into outside drain, while also fitting a non return valve on that new grey water waste run. (it after all being a low level entry waste pipe etc.

But this access out, directly behind the shower now means I can run shower extractor ducting down from above shower , behind it, then out above the waste pipe exit .

:p

Also with the downward profile of the ducting, I assume that will minimise any draughting issues (that you can get in loft level sometimes) and should prevent no drips also, that I've read some folks suffer with .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back