Verge problems/details for Redland 49's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a little help here. With all the bad weather we have been having water has been appearing through the wall below the gable end. Have attached a pic showing the Redland 49 tiles on the gable end. As you can see there is no over hang, they have just been bedded down to the brickwork (9" solid brick wall) Doubt there is any DPC or the under felt has been dressed in. The walls a damp, a few bits of pointing are needed but think the main problem is the edge detail.
Have had a brief look at dry verge systems, very limited for 49's so what my best option?
Remove the last few tiles, extend the battens and underfelt, re-bed with a overhang? But this would introduce a cut edge tile?
Is there a simple option with dry verge system?

[/img]

[/url]

Sponsored Links
The redland 49 is the same as the marley equivalent of ludlow plus. Id think the universal dry verge would work. Failing that a cut edge tile isnt the end of the world providing its cut straight.

You could put some timber up, a sort of barge board affair. That would give you the option to use a continues dry verge or depending how the tiles were laid you may be able to open them to give you an overhang.

#colind86
Thanks for the tip on the Ludlow plus. Still looks like i'll have to remove a number of tiles to extend the battens/under felt. Then use a under cloak board/slate before bedding down in sand and cement.
If I go for the cut tile option it needs to be cut on the peak rather than the valley of the tile, but never like using strips of tiles.

Sponsored Links
#catlad
If i open the tiles up then I would be able to use and under cloak slate/board, a barge board may require more opening.
Did not want to strip the complete roof to open up the tiles plus there is another verge at the back half which would be more work.
Was hoping for a quick fix but its looking to be a scaffold to three sides and a good few days work!

you should have about 40mm/50mm max over hang made up of under cloaking an pointing the side of the tiles.
id strip out too then next rafter then Half cut new batons and cement in an under cloak then retile point up job done its not alot of work and a roofer could do that easy at not alot of cost really your find the most cost mite be the scaffolding but sayig that how much or a DIYER are you????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back