Veritas Alarm in tamper mode - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently decorated my house and must have knocked a sensor (or 2) whilst painting.

On the keypad by the door the unset and tamper lights are on solid.

I have tried entering my code and reset but that does nothing. If i try to set the alarm the beeps just continue to ring - the alarm does not set.

I left it for a few weeks and went back to it and the keypad was not responding to any keys (the lights were on though).

Now the strange bit:
Powered off the mains to the alarm, opened the main control box and the alarm bells started to ring, disconnected the battery in the control unit and the keypad comes back to life, i enter my code and the alarm bells go off - the tamper light is still on though. The outside siren is now ringing.

If i leave the battery disconnected and put cover back on the control panel, power back the mains, the keypad is on and working, alarm is still in tamper mode.

As soon as i attach the battery the keypad stops responding.

Run through a 'walk test' and each of the sensors in the house and they are all picked up correctly.

Battery has a date of 2011 so will get this replaced, but the system was working fine before i knocked the sensors.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
lbridge out the tamper terminals in the panel to see if the tamper is being set by the panel or external wiring. odd about battery though - defo connected correct polarity?

lbridge out the tamper terminals in the panel to see if the tamper is being set by the panel or external wiring. odd about battery though - defo connected correct polarity?

As stated it was all working, so not sure whats happened to the battery?

Could you expain further about lbridge the tamper terminals?

Also when doing the following:

If you have access to the engineers code (default 1234), type this in press program, all your zone lights should light up.

Press 19, this should take you to a latching walk test, if the tamper light is on it should be beeping 9 times, 10 times if a power fault and would have a flashing power light/ flashing unset light.

Press the omit key, that should then light up a zone number (this number refers to where the tamper is coming from)

if the following zones are illuminated after following the above.

1 is bell box or global tamper circuit
2 is a power fault
3 Lid tamper, panel lid or keypad lid
4 Line monitor (note r8+ and Excel only)
5 Keypad offline
6 Code pin tamper
7 (cant remember but possible a PA)
8 EOL (note r8+ and Excel only)

I get the error 1 - bell box or global tamper circuit

Last edited:
In the box there will be two terminals marked tamper with wires in. These go out from the box and then "Should" form a loop right round all the detectors. if you connect these two terminals together and put the panel back together and still have a temper light then you know the tamper is on one of the sensors or its wires. For a domestic installation I would just leave it bridged or linked out because it unlikely anyone will be tempering with your alarm sensors unless you have outdoor beam detectors and garage sensors.

Sponsored Links
image.png
Put a wire link between tamper terminal (7)
That will link out tamper circuit,box panel back up without battery connected
If tamper light goes out then the problem is on the tamper circuit.
You may not have detector lid on correctly.
How old is battery ?
Now open panel and reconnect battery.if you now have a fault then battery possibly faulty.
Once you have found tamper fault,by checking that all detector lids back on correctly then i would re connect the tamper circuit as it should be connected and also if you have a cable fault it will inform you of a problem if connected back in.

Thanks for the info both!

So i bridged the tamper connection in the control panel, the tamper light went off! So i went around the house checking sensors and located the 'faulty' one, changed the sensor, plugged internal battery back in and and all working fine. As there were a few other sensors in the house that have been covered in plaster i thought i would change those over aswell, when changing the 3rd i think i have shorted one of the wires, which in turn as put the control panel in tamper mode - again, arggghh!

So as it is, with the tamper wire bridged in the control panel the tamper light is on solid, if i remove the tamper bridge then the light stays on.

Could you offer some advice here please?

If the tamper light stays on with those terminals connected together your tamper is being set by something else. Perhaps the front cover etc.

If the tamper light stays on with those terminals connected together your tamper is being set by something else. Perhaps the front cover etc.

yes thats what i thought, however it was all working correctly, the cover was not touched when i was changing sensor, whilst doing it the wires must have shorted which in turn set the alarm off. What else could it be? something on the control unit itself?

Any fuse's blown in the panel

The circuit is slighlty different on mine than the diagram provided above. I cannot see any visible fuses apart from 1 which looks like a spare toward the lower end of the panel.

I know you likely already know but just in case and to make sure we all are on the same page. Whatever is suggested will only clear the tamperes it the cover is on or the spring pressed in. I know you likely know that bit at leasthe it takes some doubt away as it progresses

I know you likely already know but just in case and to make sure we all are on the same page. Whatever is suggested will only clear the tamperes it the cover is on or the spring pressed in. I know you likely know that bit at leasthe it takes some doubt away as it progresses

yep, i place the cover back on every time i try to pin down the issue. Can you tell from looking at the picture what model it is? and where the fuses should be?

It will be on the board but we need a better pic to see model and square on to the board. Or someone that sees them day in and out etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back