Veritas Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Veritas Alarm. The green light is on on the box (meaning it has power) but the keypad is dead and the red lights that usually comes on as you walk past the sensors have stopped. Anyone have any idea as to what the problem is?

Sponsored Links
There are a number of fuses in the panel, depending on the model.
Yours has a remote keypad so I would think you will have 5.
All the panels up to a couple of years ago had traditional glass fuses, newer ones have thermal fuses.
Off memory the fuses are numbered F1 - F5 and cover Battery, Bell/strobe, Aux, keypad and power.
May be a good starting point to eliminate things.
If you know the engineer code use that, if not turn mains off open panel and enter user code to silence, check all fuses and replace the BATTERY while you are in there.

thanks
how do i stop alarm going off as I open panel
The keypad is dead
The keypad is on the wall as u enter the front door

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missed the bit about the keypad not working.

Had the system been working ok before or have you inherited it like this ?

the system was working fine until we had the heavy rain.

Did you have any power cuts?

The power light on the panel is that flashing or solid.

The keypad is separate from the panel?

If yes then you would have an R8 or R8 plus and if an LCD keypad an excel panel, only the 8C and Veritas 8 have keypads on the main control panel.

Check the fuses as you have already been advised, if you have some alarm cable run the keypad on a short piece of cable into the panel.

Unfortunately you have little control of the panel without the keypad, taking the lid off the panel unless programmed differently (unlikely that the tamper is set for external bell) will only give keypad sound (we don't think thats working) and the panel sound, you can disconnect the internal speaker so it doesn't drive you nuts.

If the fuses are all okay, and the keypad doesn't light up at all, check that the you have power at the panels + and - (13.5V DC) for the keypad.

This should give an indication if the issue is a panel problem or not, the keypad should light up with a 12V battery connected the + and - terminals of the keypad, with the zone light lit indicating the address of the keypad if the T & R terminals are not connected.

If it powers up it would indicate the keypad may be okay.

PS

To check the fuse, a multi-meter is needed, looking at it is not the way to do it.

If you haven't already got the installation manual try and download one.

This should give you the different fuse values, set them out as per spec. Buy a new 12v rechargeable battery, I think the R8 will take up to 7.2 ah but for most systems you won't need anything as big as that.

Turn power off, open panel, tamper alarm should sound. As already said, if default programming has been used only the internal sounders should sound, unless a sound bomb has been fitted you should be able to change fuses and battery without your ears bleeding or your neighbors complaining, if a sound bomb is fitted you can disconnect it.

Good advice from Europlex, the wire in the fuses is very fine and a visual inspection isn't always conclusive. Use a meter or replace with new, known good fuse of the same rating.

When you re connect the battery, close the panel and reapply the mains it should search and reconfigure the RKP, if it does enter your code to silence the sounder and press reset.

If the RKP isn't working the sounder should silence after approx 20 min.

I would be suprised if the above doesn't rectify the problem, if not report back.

Good luck.

The veritas used to come with a spare set of fuses and at one time where banded to make it easy to quickly id.

"looking at fuses " as pointed out should be done with multi meter as its not always possible to see damage that easily just by looking.

Make sure at least one end of the fuse is not in the fuse holder as the panel will provide continuity.

The compact will take a 2.1Ah and the reset of the veritas range 7Ah, subject to how well its wired, some can be a tight fit if wired badly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back