vertical sleeper retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on a retaining wall constructed from new sleepers. The wall will be approximately 1.6m high and around 10m in length with a curve in it, effectively an L shape. I am proposing to dig down a trench approximately 50-75cm deep and about 20cm in width and put the concrete in the bottom and put the sleepers in vertical in the concrete.
Is it as easy as this or do i need anything else. I realise i need to fix these together and will drill them together with an auger bit and threaded bar.
Does all this sound like a good plan or any other ideas out there ???
cheers

Sponsored Links
no need to use the bar. they will expand and contract independently. as long as the footing are deep enough (750 will be better) then they will be fine.

many thanks.
Now just got to knock my pan out doing the digging as i cannot get machinery in the back garden !!!!!

Sponsored Links
no need to use the bar. they will expand and contract independently. as long as the footing are deep enough (750 will be better) then they will be fine.
Ditto on the bar not needed.. but you may wanna make it a little wider on the footing.. something like 450 wide to give some surround to the sleepers and some mass to the footing.. also would go 1/2 height down for footing depth so 800mm..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back