Very confused newby!

OK, bearing in mind that I am not an expert, this is how I see it.

You have some evidence to support the building have been used residentially in the past, but you also have to consider whether that was "incidental to the use of the house" or as a separate dwelling (it makes a difference). There are now several routes you can take ...

1) You just go ahead, "do up" the place and start using it. The council will almost certainly find out, especially if you use it for a business (holiday cottage). They will almost certainly claim it's not got the right permissions and is therefore illegal.
At this point, you have spend the money on the building and starting the business - you may win and get to carry on using it, you may lose and have to stop (thus wasting your money). From the sound of things, it's possible you may have a precedent for legal use "incidental to use of the main house" - but not for it's use as a separate dwelling.

1b) You could go down the above route, but only spending the very bare minimum (make it habitable, but market it as "with character" !) - test the waters and accept that if you lose then you've not lost a lot.

2) You could decide that the whole thing is not worth the hassle and forget about it.

3) You could apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness for an Existing Use or Development or a Lawful Development Certificate.
By doing this, you get to present the evidence and argue over it before spending any significant amount of money. If you lose, then you haven't spent a load of cash doing up the building only to be told later that you can't use it. If you win then you can spend the cash with a certificate that states you can use it - and the planners can't then stop you.

On option 3, I have a feeling that you need to consider the current state of the building. If you apply for a certificate, and they come to look at it, and see that there's no sanitary facilities - they could argue that it isn't a standalone dwelling ("it's clearly not had a bathroom for many years, can't have been a dwelling"). You'd then be on the back foot having to show that the lack of facilities was a recent and temporary thing - and hence didn't affect it's legal status as a property.
So I suspect it may be worth spending a small amount to get the building to a state where such arguments can't be used. Ie, get it to the state where it's got everything required to be a dwelling, even it it's still well in need of significant modernisation. Also consider that if the rest of the building is a rough shed, but it's got a shiny new bathroom, then that's going to prompt questions - so "a lick of paint" so the rest doesn't look too bad might be in order.

But I would suggest listening to those who know about, and have experience with, such matters.

Sponsored Links
Simon sums it up pretty well. If it were me I'd test the water. Get it into as habitable a state as possible without spending too much money and start using it. If the planners come knocking I'd be quite bullish about it. Tell them it has been an annexe for many years and you have incontrovertible evidence to prove so. I wouldn't apply for anything unless they pursue enforcement.

Tell them it has been an annexe for many years and you have incontrovertible evidence to prove so.

The problem is, if building control get involved, the planners will check with them and their site notes. Their notes may imply that it is just a run down out house and had been for many years.

Tell them it has been an annexe for many years and you have incontrovertible evidence to prove so.

The problem is, if building control get involved, the planners will check with them and their site notes. Their notes may imply that it is just a run down out house and had been for many years.
That is the problem but it's all a game and you've got to start somewhere. Given that there is some evidence of occupation I'd play that up and start from a position of confidence. If planners have nothing to go on and are busy elsewhere and as long as they are not acting on a public complaint there's always a chance they will leave it at that. As long as the costs are minimal there's not a lot to lose.

Just recently I wrote a letter for a woman that carved a new gateway off of a main road into the grounds of her listed house. The letter just said it was not a new access - that it had been there for years and had simply been upgraded. The evidence was a faint appearance of a track from a 25 year old aerial photo. To be frank the gateway looks like something off the manor born so I thought she had no chance but a couple of weeks ago she got a letter saying they have closed the case.

The alternative is to apply for a LDC but personally I think that's a non-starter. As I said before, it tells them from the beginning that you're not really sure yourself so you can hardly make out you are confident when you clearly aren't.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the latest comments.

They've made me rethink my position.

I had thought that just going ahead and chancing it would be the best route to take, but the frankly I have a good case and I'm just going to hope the planners listen to my particularly detailed proposal to them.

I initially called the department and talked to a nice lady who seemed very accommodating. She talked to the head honcho who required that I drew a scale plan (I did it fairly simply on lined paper) with an illustration of what we intend to use this for. I told them all history starting with the fact it has its own title deed, has been lived in and also used as a holiday home.

i now await to hear from them....what do you think???

My guess, they'll suggest you need to apply for planning permission. That seems to be the default answer from things I've read.

I love that you live somewhere where you can still have a casual chat with your Local Authority.

Hmmm.... Submitted an e mail with many attachments such as a plan, long letter talking about how this has been used as a home, summerhouse etched, that it's had an article about preserving it in the local press, and recommendations for modernising from the local councillor. Forwarded onto the (what seemed like) the helpful planning officer a couple of weeks ago.

Called up yesterday and she said "after looking at this I advise that you get a planning adviser to help". I said that I wasn't sure why, she said it was "just best". I asked again if she could tell me specific reasons why "I just think that it's best". I said it would be extremely helpful for a bit more info, she then put the phone on hold and after 5 minutes asked if I could resend the e mail!!!! Really really frustrating!

I'm now inclined to go guns a lazing for an LDC.... Any thoughts on this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back