very large crack in paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I painted my walls some time ago (over a year), but a few months ago I noticed a very large crack had appeared going from the ceiling to where the wall is covered by my radiator. There are no other cracks. It is very distracting and I am wondering what the best way of getting rid of it is? I don't know how it happened, I have heard some loud bangs so I'm wondering if that could have caused it? Should I just get paint to go over it or is there a better way? It is not hairline, it is a fairly large crack. I should also mention I may not be able to recreate the exact shade used as it is a mixture.

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Jess

Sponsored Links
What sort of wall is it, Plasterboard? where is the room ? how old is the property ?

It could be just heat expansion from the radiator that has caused it. or a settlement crack.

possibly a hairline crack, fill with a fine surface filler and rub down,
sounds to me that you will have to paint the complete wall as you do not have the matching paint, even if it was the original paint, the colour on the wall will have faded slightly so the repairs would still show

To prevent the crack from reopening if the problem isn't structural, rake out any loose material, dust off, fill using a quality product such as Tetrion, allow it to dry and apply self adhesive plasterboard tape. Then skim over with joint filler, feathering at the edges to blend into the surrounding surface. When the filler is dry, rub down until you have a smooth, flat surface, apply paint and it should be fine.

If the crack opens up again, you should probably get it checked by an expert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back