Vessel sink waste size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm searching for a square sprung waste for my new glass vessel sink, all 'standard' wastes are described as 1 1/4" across, but my basin instructions stipulate a 1 1/2" waste is required. I've seen them on an American website but are they available here?

Same problem with the basin spacer/collar, I need a collar with a 1 3/4" hole (available in USA) but can't find ANY measurements on UK sites (so I'm guessing they'll only be a 1 1/2" hole to fit the 'standard' 1 1/4 wastes!!) All basin spacers on UK sites are 'Crosswater', anyone know the dimensions of these?

Tearing my hair out here! :(

Sponsored Links
Did you know that most threaded plumbing fittings are 1/4" to 3/8" larger than their nominal size?

The nominal size refers to the size of the bore through the middle of the pipe or fitting. Naturally, the outside diameter of the fitting has to be somewhat larger than the bore.

1-1/4" fittings are commonly used on hand basins, and 1-1/2" is generally used on kitchen sinks and bathtubs. The measurements over the threads are about 1-5/8" and 1-7/8" respectively.

It is also usual to leave a generous clearance between a basin and it's waste fitting, so there's plenty of room for differential expansion. If it was made an exact fit, the brass would expand and crack the basin when it is filled with hot water.

So a 1-1/4" fitting is usually considered the correct size to fit a 1-3/4" diameter hole.

Thanks so much for all of the info, I really appreciate your time :)

I'm glad to hear that a 1-1/4" waste may be suitable but I'm still a little concerned that the basin manufacturer actually make 1-1/2" waste kits with 1-3/4" basin spacers (but I do not want to pay the £23 shipping charge from USA! :eek: )

I did try a waste fitting which came with my basin set for upstairs (Hudson Reed brand from UK) which fit nicely, I measured the size of the waste pipe bore and it was 1-1/2", so the outer measurement was even larger :(

Is a 1-3/4" diameter hole typical for a basin? (As you can tell, I have NO experience in this field!! :oops: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back