Vibration through steering wheel ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The abridged version :

'01 Citroen C5......vibration through the steering wheel not cured by having wheels balanced, gets worse with speed

Any suggestions.....the duration of the vibration is about 3 secs ....it starts, vibration increases and then diminishes ....stops for 2 secs and starts again.....warped wheel ? Shocks ? Suspension knackered ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
I don't want to be funny but when did Citroen C5 have shock absorbers :LOL: .
I would have a look at the tyres first and see if they are not out off shape.
regards johnwr

No shocks? what do they use for err shock absorption ? Not all that hydro elastic carp is it?

Sponsored Links
I'd go for a duff tyre too.
If you jack it up, spin the tyre and have a look for any movement in either the tread or look out for a bulge

All

Thanks for taking the time

Never want to appear like a complete moron with the garage but I guess with my knowledge, it's probably unavoidable

Have a good weekend

try putting michtelin tyres on your car had the same problem with my citroen c5 hd sx 04 plate vibration stopped

also worth jacking the car up and spinning the wheels to check that the wheel bearings are ok.
it should rotate freely and spin to a slow stop not a sudden stop. also check there is no sideways play as well.
have a look at the joints between the steering rack and the wheels these should be reasonably tight (ball and sockets)

Did you have the rears balanced too? At speed 60-70ish, the wheel can vibrate because the rears aren't balanced sometimes. Does it brake smoothly?

I still reckon its tyres, not necessaraly out of balance but maybe out of round. The symptoms you describe sound like two out of balance tyres going in and out of phase, meaning that if you are driving in a straight line one tyre must have a slightly different diameter to the other.

HI, i purchased an 02 plated C5 HDI estate, when pushed to 60 ish mph sever wheel shudder was encountered, i found through the internet that it is a common problem. Took the vehicle to ATS they sorted it and charged £26, its all to do with Balancing of tyres correctly because of the unique way they have to be balanced. CAr now runs as smooth as silk

Sponsored Links
Back