Victorian soil vent pipe grille - tiny key attached??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Painting the front area of my Victorian terrace house over the weekend, and a perfect time to replace the above grille that has been broken for years.

However, when i finally managed to dig through the rusted screws and get it off i noticed behind the grille was a tiny little key attached to the back of the grille?

My 2 small children said it belongs to the houses 'Borrowers' and i should put it back immediately!, but i'm sure there is another real world explanation, but for the life of me i have no idea?

Anyone here have any thoughts, i'm really intrigued!

On a side note, i'm sure you can buy replacement grilles, but i've just bought a desktop 3D printer and as a little project i'm going to model this piece and print a replacement!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fascinating! Reckon your kids might be right!

Only suggestion is perhaps it was supplied with some kind of security screw and a key to operate them was attached, but not used.

Fascinating it is!

Its just such a strange thing to have behind the grille - makes no sense to me?

Maybe some quaint Victorian thing?

Any historians out there?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back