Viessmann

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating buying a viessmann 200 and the plumber has said that if i go for a weather compensation system then i will have very little control over the settings.

I assumed that there would be an internal room stat (therometer) as well as the external probe. If I specify a temp of 20degrees then using external temp it will do it's best to maintain this internal temp. If that's too cold then I can specify 21 etc and increase the heat. He has said this isn't the case but the boiler measures the internal house temp itself. This seems odd to me but I thought I would ask for clarification.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if that is the case then how does it know what the house temperature is and when it has achieved set point? Maybe my understanding of w/c isn't good enough!!

I am contemplating buying a viessmann 200 and the plumber has said that if i go for a weather compensation system then i will have very little control over the settings.
Sounds as if the plumber has not attended the Viessman training program, so you would not be eligible for the five year warranty.

The basic Vitotronic 200 w/c controller is installed into the boiler, but you can also add on the Vitotrol 200A room unit, from which you cam adjust the room temperature.

Commissioning the system requires adjusting the heating curve so the correct boiler flow temperature is obtained to give the required internal temperature.

Sponsored Links
There has been a 7 page (to date) debate ? argument ? about WC in the CC ! pro's & con's , there is a fella in there who is a big advocate of WC , never does a job with out it . Alec1 , think he may have written some technical trade articles on the subject ? he might pick up on this ?

He has done the Viessmann course, I got his details from their website but he said that I'm the first person who has ever asked for W/C. Given how technical it sounds to set-up I'm now having second thoughts about going for it, especially with someone who isn't hugely familiar with it.

Apparently Alec1 has installed over 150 wc systems for his customers , all of em are happy ?? think he uses the viessman set up ! I will see if he will come over here , seems like u are interested ??

I put a message in the CC , if he picks up on it , he may well be able to help/ explain it for you ??

The vitotronic 200 plugs in to the boiler front and allows you to change the room temperature programme heating times, allows a temporary boos, holiday program and an economy button just like an on-off controllers, in short you have all the control you need or want.

The good thing about weather compensation is that it holds the house at stable temperature when it is programmed to do this. With the viessmann you have two temperatures, the set back should be set at about 6c below the room temperature. This way the boiler merely tops up the thermal fly wheel of the house with warm, not hot radiators. ALso for this reason the radiators may be warm when you dont expect them to be so.. but that would be because the temperature has dropped outside and by putting heat at a similar rate as to the heat loss gas can be burnt at high efficiencies..

apart from comfort and automation, the other benefits probably include a longer boiler life as the boiler ticks over at low outputs except in hot water mode, and low maintenance as the condensation self cleans the heat exchanger.

If a boiler turned off will save the most gas and not wear out then one that ticks over at low output must last longer than one that is lurching from extremes, as well as saving energy. Of course energy savings will depend on your lifestyle....but you can also get the boiler to behave like a simple on-off boiler.

The UK industry has a funny attitude to this technology, but that is certainly not your heating engineers fault. Although almost all boilers have this technology it is ignored for reasons that are not entirely clear. BG and worcester bosch say its too complicated for the public, installers don't get the support they need because boiler manufacturers just want to sell boilers. Viessmann (the 100) and Bosch(the junior) both produce simple boilers just for the UK because we dont have civll servants who appreciate the role of technology in comfort and fuel efficiency..

As for savings... alot will depend on how you use it...if you are replacing a condensing boiler this is the way definitely to go...its also silly not to install it with a new boiler, after all it is the way the boiler is designed to be installed as most of the software is on all boards, the only exception being worcester bosch junior series, alpha and a few others..

if your heating engineer wants to talk through the finer points of the installation of the boiler he can do so in the combustion chamber or the argi websites....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back