vinyl over ceramic tiles - how to without taking tiles up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice...

We need to vinyl over some kitchen tiles but at the moment it’s not feasible to take up the existing tiles (time constraints && young crawling children). The tiles are smooth 80’s style about 8mm apart (chipped) with about 1-2mm deep grout troughs between them.

what would be the best way to prepare them for laying the vinyl?? (in an ideal world I would take them up and do it properly... but it’s just not going to happen...well for a few years at least)

Have done a search around and have found the following solutions..

1. Apply a latex screed (1-2mm thick) directly onto the tiles (would the tiles need to be prepared in any way? primer?? Sanded Etc?? – couldn’t find an answer to that) and lay vinyl.
2. Fix down 3mm hard board (screw or glue?) and lay vinyl.
3. Some kind of underlay?

Any suggestions would be great as we’ve already got the vinyl :oops: but the fitter said there was no point laying it as the tiles will show through (great!!! thanks sales bloke for letting us know about that!!!!!)

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hiya - go with option one - screed 2 and 3 are definate no no`s

If you have no experience of this get a pro in - expect to pay approx £10 - £15 per sq metre

You shouldn`t need a primer but without seeing it in person cannot guarantee that

Hmmm, lets see, apart from "its just not done"

...you will never fix it well enough to last long term

and of course assuming 6mm ply,

...the wood will cost you around £10 m2, the glue will cost you? (and god knows which glue), finally labour?

I note you have a fitter - surely he can quote you to screed?

Sponsored Links
With respect to l/ranger's expertise there are a few more issues here:

1. how firmly down are the in-situ tiles? Any squeaks or floor movement or crack patterns in the ceramic tile?
2. sheet vinyl can be unforgiving - the finish is in the prep.
3. what kind and thickness of vinyl is proposed? More than one drop/sheet?
4. how will the vinyl be laid ie full field stick-down or perimeter etc.
5. my ten cents says rip-out and prep from the sub-floor up. A good fitter could do it all in a day, day and a half. Start to finish.
6. have you taken into account finish floor levels for door thresholds and in-situ appliances?

many thanks for the replies :)

tim00

1 : very!! 2/3 cm of grout... laid on concrete floor - no movement
2 : I know that..... now :oops:
3 : one sheet
4 : perimeter stick down
5 : that would be ideal - but we have neither the time to do it ourselves nor the money for someone else to do it :(
6 : yes

OK. then go with the SLC:
1. read instructions esp. ref thickness
2. prepare all materials and worker(s). measure room for correct amount of SLC.
3. clean and degrease floor
4. mix using a drill and paddle if possible - powder to liquid always.
5. keep going/flowing until the floor is covered - dont stop.
6. clean all tools immediately on finishing.
7. SLC is not fully self-levelling, use a steel trowel to sweep it down and then leave it, dont mess with it.
8. pour small amounts at a time.
9. it's best to remove skirtings but if not then be careful and work clean and slow at the surrounds.

He he he - tim00 makes it sound easy!

...it is once you know how! :eek:

are you up for this????

If not get a quote from your fitter ;)

Good luck :D

many thanks tim00 - very informative:cool:

Lranger - yeah I’m up for it - would rather give it a go than admit defeat before I’ve even tried.... what's the worst that can happen - lol :eek:

but we've asked our fitter for a quote - the vinyl we had put down has a manufacturing error on it (whole other story!!!) so we might be getting some kind of discount - so if that happens we might put that money towards getting it done properly - of course it all depends on how much it costs and how much we get back...

many thanks for your help you two - is very much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back