Visonic Powrmax

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I have read good reviews on the Visonic Powrmax Pro and seems to be good kit to install, there was a concern for DIY installation/manuals etc but that won’t be an issue for us as we are getting the alarm system installed as part of our renovation project.
I just need to know if anyone from here has installed this kit and what would be their recomendation including place to purchase?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I DIY installed our Powermax Pro some 6 years ago. Sorry can't remember where I got it from. We opted for a system comprising:

Control Panel
"Quad" series wireless PIR sensors
Four wireless Key fobs

Works great. The control panel is hidden away in a cupboard because we almost never need to access it. All arming and disarming is done using the keyfobs (as you do for your car). No need for a keypad in the hall if you don't want one.

The Quad PIR sensors seem to be very good. No false alarms although we don't have pets. The batteries last ages, particularly if you turn off the LED on them using the link inside.

There are two versions 433MHz and 868MHz. We opted for the 868MHz version because I think garage door openers also use 433MHz. However I've no idea if they are actually a problem. I suspect not.

Manuals both user and installer are online. Overall it's a great system but perhaps too complex for many users to DIY install. There are so many options and most users probably don't need 80% of them. Took me awhile to get my head around it all.

I'm in the process of hooking up an external bell box at the moment and having a few problems so you may see me post a question on that soon. Just to be clear..it's a problem with the bell box I'm using not the Powermax.

thanks CWatters, yep I am tilting towards this as the reviews i have seen thus far do suggest that its a quality product. There are/were some issues with installation, suppose its not for novice DIYers but once installed correctly does the job well.
Hope you get the answer re your external bell box problem, there are lot of helpful chaps out here.

Hi, Im finishing off fitting one of these today and its superb!

They are 868Mhz and encrypted so there is no chance of any interference.

Be careful where you buy from as most small distributors are selling imports and not Visonic UK...there is substantial software differences as I realised to my cost....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
They are 868Mhz and encrypted so there is no chance of any interference.
:?:

Does encryption prevent blocking of signals ?

The only way to ensure there is no interference is to :-

[1] Use a frequency for which you have a sole user licence.

[2] Live in a place where no one else is ever going to use Licence Exempt 868 MHz equipment within at least 100 yards of your system.

OK let me throw it back to you.....

Have you ever heard of a Visonic alarm being "jammed".........I visited IFSEC last year and discussed this topic with visonic tech team - they have never had a single case of a powermax alarm being jammed in the UK on any frequency.

So yes technically its possible BUT only a real anal person would worry about this happening.........

In fact Ive never heard of a modern wireless alarm being jammed - not even Yale!

Bottom line is if your paranoid enough then gety a wired system - simples!

We rarely do wired jobs unless its commercial.....

OK let me throw it back to you.....

Have you ever heard of a Visonic alarm being "jammed"
If specifically a Visonic system then the anser is no

e999 said:
discussed this topic with visonic tech team - they have never had a single case of a powermax alarm being jammed
As if they would admit to it. They may have heard of messages being delayed but eventually getting through. As the message eventually got through it could be said that the system was not "jammed". For a system whose function is not time critical it could be said that jamming had not occurred.

E999 said:
In fact Ive never heard of a modern wireless alarm being jammed - not even Yale!
I have, and past colleagues who still work in radio communications do hear of cases where equipment using license exempt frequencies has been compromised by other equipment on the same channel

E999 said:
Bottom line is if your paranoid enough then gety a wired system - simples!
It is not being paranoid. it is knowing the limitations of wireless communication equipment on licence exempt frequencies.

E999 said:
We rarely do wired jobs unless its commercial.....
What is the difference between commercial and residential ? Is it commercial customers have more money, or they have to have an alarm approved by their insurers ?

Well impressed by your interest Mr Green....all good points but the bottom line is Visonic confirm they have not had a single alarm compromised via Jamming...I know Chris on tech support very well indeed!

Your common thief is not looking to jam a system.....Ofcourse there are pro criminals who will be looking to target your higher end properties BUT then these properties should have a wired NSI fitted alarm.

As for difference between commercial / domestic, its easier to run cables in a commercial property for reasons such as suspended ceilings ect. Generally speaking domestic customers do not want floorboards pulled up ect so wireless is the preferred option.

.....................all good points but the bottom line is Visonic confirm they have not had a single alarm compromised via Jamming...I know Chris on tech support very well indeed!
Oh, whoop de doo, I also know people "very well indeed" in the manufacturing side of alarm equipment, I would still not take "sales talk," of any kind, as gospel.

I've been in this game too long.

ps. Jamming is not always, if ever, a professional, it will be something quite innocent such as a hoover, electric lawnmower or light being turned on.

E999 said:
Hi, if you want to comply with NSI Stds then yes you should use a remote keypad to be installed by the main access point and then mount the control panel somewhere more discreet like the cloakroom ect.

Sorry now you lost me, why we need to comply with NSI Stds and what's the purpose of the remote keypad?

E999 said:
Good choice of alarm anyway!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

NSI is one of the stds/ governing bodies in the security world.......In order to meet their standards or compliance as its known , the main control panel should be mounted out of sight and a remote keypad should be fitted at main entry point - that way should a burglar break in all they will see is the remote keypad which they can smash off wall and alarm would still function.

If however they were to see the main control panel and smash that off the wall, you have lost your dialler comms ect......

Asuming you have a UK Visonic product the keypad you require is

visonic-mcm-140-remote-keypad

Or the higher end one is:

visonic-mkp-151-two-way-voice-keypad

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back