Vokera compact 28 combi locking out on hot water demand.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am a fully trained electrical technician and also have some central heating qualifications i.e. old gas ACOP elements but for the past 18 years I've been a senior lecturer in the electrical section in a further education college but my brother in law is gas safe registered. I posted the following post elsewhere in the forum and I am hoping I can get a sensible reply to my post to show him because he has tried some of the things mentioned in the post and I have checked the electrics as far as the fault flow charts allow but the problem with the boiler still exists. The post in another part of the forum is as follows;
My Vokera 28 works ok when the heating is on but when I open a hot water tap it has started (not all the time) going to lockout, solid red light. It resets and works ok for anything between an hour and a couple of days and locks out again. I've replaced both NTC sensors, removed the small rubber washer from the top end of the pipe coming from the domestic water flow switch (it was brittle). I have not looked at the washer at the flow switch end of the pipe. I was advised to clean out venturi pipes with pipe cleaners but I can't find the venturi pipes. I have tried to follow the fault flow charts checking the voltage etc on both the heating side and the direct hot water side, both seem to point to replacing the PCB. I was wondering if there were any additional common faults I could check for before forking out £180 for a PCB? BTW I am in desperate need of advice as my wife is the U.K. Nark Champion and is on course to be the World Champion.

Sponsored Links
This forum does not give advice on gas or combustion relayed matters which might be involved in your problem.

We have a part of the forum for registered gas engineers called the Combustion Chamber.

You should get your registered brotherinlaw to post the question there where we will be happly to help him. But that would be on the understandint that he will be doing any gas related aspects.

Doesn't the college where you teach has a gas section you could ask?

Tony

Yes the college does have a gas section and I have asked them and I am actively pursuing their suggestions, all I'm doing with this forum is enquiring if there are any 'common' faults that your 'hands-on' guys come up against on a regular or semi-regular basis. My colleagues have suggested I use pipe cleaners to clean out the venturi tubes in the flue, I did pass this advice on to my brother-in-law, who works for James Frew in Glasgow but I was not at home when he did this so I don't know if he has managed to do it completely because the tubes are awkward to get in to.

I see this as one of the more difficult boilers to diagnose faults on because it does not give fault codes as such.

Because of the gas work aspect, I cannot comment on any gas/safety aspects you have mentioned.

They are popular boilers in the Glasgow area but I dont know anyone who thinks this is an easy model to deal with. Because of the lack of fault codes many people seem to have to resort to swapping parts which goes against the grain for me.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick reply, I have done most of the electrical checks on the boiler and according to the flow chart/s it would seen the PCB needs to be replaced but my colleagues in the college say that the flow chart/s that come with the boiler documentation are not complete remedies, if that makes sense. They tell me that there are a few thing to try that the flow charts do not mention, cleaning the venturi tubes being one of them. From my understanding there are several thing that 'usually' get done first, like replace the NTC sensors, remove the flow regulator insert and rubber washer (because that usually clears the fault). I understand that because these things are done cheaply. I will have a go at effectively cleaning the venturi tubes with pipe cleaners and let you know if that solves the problem. Thanks again for your reply. Someone suggested getting my Gas Safe Registered brother-in-law to repost my problem in the 'gas combustion' part of the site but I can't find it, how do I navigate to that page? Thanks again in advance of any reply.

He has to apply with his registration details to [email protected] to be checked and allowed access.

Its a closed forum only for gas engineers and will not appear on the topic list to anyone who is not registered for access.

Tony

OK, Tony thanks, I'll have a go at cleaning the Venturi tubes and if that fails I'll get him to log on with his gas qualification details, Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back