Volt / Amp meter Solar charged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is anyone aware of any test meters that either don't need an internal power cell or have a solar power panel (e.g. like a solar calculator). Or can be usb socket charged?

I need a test meter that can be used in an emergency kit bag, but it can't have batteries in. It only needs to do the basics like DC volts, DC amps (nice to have). I was tempted to use a standard LCD volt meter that you can buy on ebay for £1 and add some crocodile clips.

I Just wondered if anyone had come across anything better.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I meant USB powered/charged, it can have a built in cell.

.... Or can be usb socket charged? ... I need a test meter that can be used in an emergency kit bag, but it can't have batteries in.
What is the problem with batteries? If you would be prepared to have a meter whose rechargeable battery had to be periodically recharged via USB, why would in not be acceptable to periodically replace non-rechargeable batteries? If (as you imply) very rarely used, a decent brand of non-rechargeable battery should last for at least a year or three. I hate to think how old the batteries in some of my meters might be!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
A lot of the Fluke meters, maybe not DVMs but 'voltage indicators' will always indicate voltage, even with a completely depleted battery - my T5-1000 currently has flat batteries. Keep meaning to change them

it's for use while ocean sailing the salt in the air seems to destroy anything with regular batteries.

in rough weather it's handy to have all the tools you need taped inside the compartment rather than having a toolbox.

it's for use while ocean sailing the salt in the air seems to destroy anything with regular batteries.
Fair enough. I don't find that hard to believe, but, given that, I am rather surprised by your implication that the same is not correspondingly true of rechargeable batteries.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back