Voltage Drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have installed a new door entry system keypad and camera. The problem is that I am experiencing a voltage drop over the distance of the cable that is making the camera not power on correctly, ringer and voice work fine.

My current wiring is using 4 cores of what i presume is 0.5mm2 6 core alarm wire. (this was in place for my old camera)

Questions are....

1. This may be daft (or may not be) can i double up the wires i.e use the 2 unused cores to power the camera on the keypad? I presume the camera power comes from via the red and blue wires? so If i use the spare orange/white and blue/white and join them to orange and blue at the monitor and then into the same couplings at the back of the camera/keypad, will this reduce voltage drop?

2. If 1 isnt advisable. Then it appears that I may need thicker cable. Id say at a guess the cable run is approx 25M. Id rather be over than under in terms of cable thickness, what cable thickness would be advisable? The output at the monitor is 14.7V

Thanks In advance

Andy

Sponsored Links
My current wiring is using 4 cores of what i presume is 0.5mm2 6 core alarm wire. (this was in place for my old camera)
0.5mm2 is a lot bigger than most alarm cable i've seen. How did you determine the size (or did you just make a wild-ass guess?)

1. This may be daft (or may not be) can i double up the wires i.e use the 2 unused cores to power the camera on the keypad? I presume the camera power comes from via the red and blue wires? so If i use the spare orange/white and blue/white and join them to orange and blue at the monitor and then into the same couplings at the back of the camera/keypad, will this reduce voltage drop?
Yes doubling up will reduce the volt drop.

2. If 1 isnt advisable. Then it appears that I may need thicker cable. Id say at a guess the cable run is approx 25M. Id rather be over than under in terms of cable thickness, what cable thickness would be advisable? The output at the monitor is 14.7V
What voltage are you currently seeing when you measure at the camera?

plugwash";p="3157101 said:
0.5mm2 is a lot bigger than most alarm cable i've seen. How did you determine the size (or did you just make a wild-ass guess?)

andy2306";p="3157050 said:
Yes doubling up will reduce the volt drop.

What voltage are you currently seeing when you measure at the camera?

Just made a wild ass guess with a ruler and measured the case/sleve. Its just standard 6core alarm cable.

Would cat5e cable be more suitable? i could use 2 cores for each?

Sponsored Links
Point 1 is it voltage drop ? Have you tested at psu with nothing connected and at camera end connected ? What do you get ? Point 2 Will this system work ok on alarm cable ? What make and model is it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back