VW Beetle keeps cutting out and not starting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Have a 2001 Beetle which has developed an annoying intermittent fault.
Driving for 20 mins then cuts out. No engine management light fault. Cranking but not turning over until 1 hour later when it will start again.

Its been to two garages and has been scanned with no faults. VW had the car for two weeks and test drove it on numerous occasions but no cutting out (typical!) did have one non start episode with them but after taking off dash and testing.. no fault found. Picked it up from VW and now headlights not working! (thats another story!)

Had it towed after breaking down again! Mechanic suggested it could be a faulty crankshaft sensor overheating?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful as I'm at a loss? I've been quoted £120 for sensor replacement.

Sponsored Links
Will the starter spin the engine when the fault is there? If so, and it wont start while spinning, yes it could well be a crankshaft sensor or a bad connection to it.

It is.......very typical of a crank position sensor fault, and no fault code will be logged - dammit!
John :)

Yup with no crankshaft signal the ECU just assumes you've stalled it and doesn't recognise the starting spinning the engine over.

Sponsored Links
Yup, had the same problem with my last car, would cut out when warm, allowed to cool and it would start again, fitted a new CPS and all was well.

Back