VW polo 1 litre 'stuttering' on accelerating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with a polo that i would appreciatte any comments on.

The car when driving is very 'stuttery' when accelarating, a bit 'flappy' and it feels like there's no power there when you press the accelerator. It is also 'blowing' or 'firing' out of the exhaust. It has suddenly just started doing this and im lost as to what could be the problem. Nothing seems loose anywhere.

Any comments as to what the problem may be welcome and apologies for the rubbish descriptions.

Regards, I-spark

Sponsored Links
Injectors blocked? Have you run it dry recently? New spark plugs? HT leads perished?

Hi, thanks for the reply.....

I dont know how to check if the injectors are blocked.......any advice on that? here is what ive done so far....

Removed old plugs and replaced them. That didnt make a difference. The old ones tested out ok and looked ok. Ive got the leads to change tomorrow. I 'tested' the old leads today using a continuity tester but not sure what this really will tell me. The old leads all showed a resistance of 5.7kohm give or take so i presume thats good if they are all consistent.

The only thing what seemed unusual is that the old lead between the d-cap and coil pack measured 1.95kohm yet the new one from the new lead set was 4.7kohm........ dont know if this is an indication of the old lead being bad (wouldnt think so as the resistance of the old lead is twice as low as the new)

should the resistance of the dcap-coil lead be the same as the ones to the plugs?

Im replacing the dcap tomorrow aswell as the 'contacts' were very pitted and dirty-couldnt really even clean them up using wire wool.

Any further advice much appreciatted.

Contacts............ blimey, thats one of the old breadvan polo's aint it?! (Pre 1992?)

They used to suffer badly from carb icing. Check the warm air pipe from the exhaust manifold to the air intake is still attached / in one piece.

Change the points / condenser / dizzy cap & rotor and if that doesn't fix things, clean the carb with some spray carb cleaner and check for air leaks / perished vaccuum pipes on the carburettor / intake manifold

Sponsored Links
Well, if it's got carbs, it a'int got injectors, so you can't test what you haven't got :)

Back