VW polo window regulator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a vw polo 1999 1 litre which has a broken window 'winder' mechanism......

The windows are manual not electric, had the door panel off today and found that the steel wire that forms part of what i believe is called the window regulator( am i correct on this?) has freyed and broken thus the window wont wind up.

The wire runs through the 'windey' mechanism and also there are 2 'struts' that bolt to the inside of the door panel that also look to be part of the 'mechanism'.

Questions

1, am i right in thinking this is called the window regulator, its manual dont forget.???

2, Can i replace just the wire? doesnt look like it, looks all one piece, i.e wire, mechanism, struts

3, best place to get this from? try'd a few scrappy's and the dealer will probably be expensive!

regards, I-spark

Sponsored Links
1. Yes. It doesn't make any difference if it's manual.

2. I would work out how to detach the cable from the rest of the mechanism. If you need to remove the mechanism you may find it's riveted to the struts, in which case you'll need to drill out the rivets. Replace with new rivets, or use nuts and bolts instead.

3. In this case, I'd try a dealer first if it's a single component you need. But if you need to replace a number of parts it becomes worth trying breakers, locally and on the internet.

Working on these is usually very fiddly (at least, I find them so) and the first time you do one can be a bit frustrating.

Try a VW forum if you don't get much help here.

I-spark,

hi mate, best off with a full regulator, in the trade and i've never stripped

and repaired one, thats why were called fitters now i suppose, scrappy will

be cheaper, however!! you may be in the same boat in a few months. So

its a case of pay your money take your choice, try a motor factors,

normally cheaper than genuine.

Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info,

Ive contacted my local VW dealer today and ordered the entire part.........cost only £45 so better than expected. It looked like it wasnt really repairable and you guys have confirmed its probably not worth the hassle.

thanks again for the input.

Back