VW Touran.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a VW Touran TDI which was recently serviced, part of the service included the replacement of the fuel filter.

The day after the Service, my wife used the car and noticed a strong smell of Diesel, on inspection it looked to be leaking and so she called the RAC who confirmed the fuel filter was leaking due to a faulty seal.

He collected one and replaced it, problem solved.

However I spoke to garage who carried out the service and they claim it isn't possible for the car to even start if the fuel filter had been leaking (something to do with air system?) and that it could not be true.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case or not please?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, I wonder why the guy from the RAC said it was leaking and changed it then.

He left the damaged seal with the Mrs and told her she should show the garage and ask them to clean the diesel off the engine parts.

I assume the fuel filter is the paper element type, that lives in an aluminium housing - the lid of which is secured with 6 Allen screws?
It's almost impossible for it to leak from the lid, but there is a push in pipe connection that can spurt fuel if it's not pushed in correctly with its 2 new O rings.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If its the pd engine it may have been leaking form the crappy fittings held in with a spring type clip, or they didnt bother to change the seals.
Ive seen these engines start ok with a slight leak here.

I beg to differ on the impossible to leak from the top part, sorry! These housings can be a real pain! They are just a rubbish design & I have seen a few leaking! They can be a PITA to get the housing back together & leak free.

Back