W5 engine oil @ Lidl

I think quite a few vehicle manufacturers got a bit of a fright when engines became a bit more advanced and did more research into the lubrication requirements......
The original Ford 16v Zetec springs to mind, the valves used to stick open;
The first FWD Vauxhall Cavalier used to knock camshafts out like there was no tomorrow.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'm still amazed that my Citroen/Peugeot diesels only use about 1/2 litre for top ups in 6k miles. You'd be thinking the valve guides and piston rings are running dry
Yep, that's about par for the course......still world leaders in diesel engine design in my opinion.
'Er indoors is on her 4th vehicle using the Renault dci 1.5 motor - we change them at 65k miles and they don't use any oil at all.
Curious its the Jap diesels that have been giving issues - Honda and Toyota in particular with Nissan in the running too.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I had to knock the Granada tunnel about a bit to get it to fit.:)

Peter

I had some fully synthetic Castrol 10w60 motorsport oil years ago. Used it in the Rover V8 and it really increased the oil pressure. Only used it because I got it silly cheap

Well now, the 5L Mannol Defender 10w40 of ebay has been delivered but the ebay seller has supplied Fanfaro TSN 10w40, a brand I never heard of but seems to be a sub branch of Mannol.

I've checked the Fanfaro website and the TSN 10w40 doesn't mention being suitable a turbo diesel although the B number is B4 where as Mannol Defender is a B3.

Has anyone used Fanfaro oil?

http://fanfaro.de/en/?action=accessory_chemical_preview&name=TSN 10W-40

The Fanfaro 10w40 product for turbo diesels is 10w40 TDI.

I've never heard of that make of oil, but the B4 category is a very high European standard (ACEA) whereas the American standard is API.
Again the higher the number the better, but expect even more confusion to come with the low SAPS oils.
B4 is fine for your TDI.

Many thanks John

What I found strange about the Fanfaro 10w40 TDI oil, specifically for turbo diesels, was that its only B3.

For anyone interested in the two different brands, Mannol and Fanfaro, which I queried with the ebay seller, to quote their message to me -

"Hi there, yes it is the same company and same oil it is simply branded different because they are not allowed to sell the same oil to a supplier local to another supplier of the same oil so they have 3 different brands."

Hugely confusing, isn't it! I would also use a B3 oil in a turbo diesel as the specification is high enough.
Another thing adding to the confusion is the long drain intervals that some lubes have.... can you imagine 20k miles before an oil drop?
In some cases, a fully synthetic lube is actually discouraged - it can cause glazing of the cylinder bores which actually encourages oil burning......seems you just can't win!

Oh for the good old days when Duckhams 20/50 was OK for most cars on the road. And I think you could get a gallon for 99p....

Duckhams Q 20/50 - blue and yellow can (y) A green coloured oil?
I can't think of anyone that didn't use it!

I still have some in my dad's old red Wesco oil can.

May just keep the Fanfaro 10w40 TSN for my nephew's 2002 1.2 petrol Punto and get a tub of the Fanfaro 10w40 TDI to put in my 45 TD since the TDI 10w40 oil is specific for diesels.

Fanfaro oil is a good price and a German brand. As folk have pointed out in this thread, its oil changes that count more than oil brands.

Sponsored Links
Back