Waether compensator for greenstar 24Ri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just called worcester bosch technical support for advice on a weather compensator for my greenstar 24 Ri. They advised me that they don't do anything of that sort for my boiler!!!!

I don't know much about these things so wondered if someone (Hailsham would be perfect) could advise me on them.

Heatmiser do one that is a room thermostat/weather compensator but i can't see how this would control the flow temperature of the boiler.

Elsewhere i have read of these control regulating the temperature of the flow based on external ambient temperatures.

Are there different types and more spicifically does any know exactly the one to go for?

I'm probably milking the expertise of feelow members a little much of late! I really do appreciate it though!! I promise that once i'm more adept i shall share the knowledge in kind :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

The way that Weather Compensators work is that they constantly measure the external temperature, that is the temperature outside the house, rather than inside it.

So the lower the temperature outside, the boiler will raise the temperature of the flow (water leaving the boiler) accordingly.

Therefore compenstating for the cold weather, the house will be warm.

When it is really warm outdside, the boiler will reduce the flow temperature accordinly to increase user comfort.

Compatibility with Greenstar gas boilers
----------------------------------------------

CDi boilers: FX intelligent controls are compatible with CDi combi and system boilers manufactured after 16th Jan 2007 with software version CF12.10 onwards.

Si and i System boilers: compatible with FX controls from February 2011 onwards, models produced earlier than this date are not compatible.

The external sensor is normally to be installed AWAY from windows and doors, eves, etc, and preferably facing North, East or West, and avoid South West, South and South East positions.

The thermostat is also to be installed a minimum of 2 metres from the ground.

You'd need to replace your boiler and do some system alterations to get it to work in your house, by the sound of it.

worcester do a great job sponsoring the weather, but when it comes to boilers they dumb them down to be simple for the uk market..

out door sensors in germany are mandatory as the contribute to energy savings...

it is a far better business model to dumb down a boiler than educate an installer or the technical department...

sad but true

Sponsored Links
The FW100 is low voltage switching (24v) , and your boiler controls operate at 230 volts, thats why they are not compatible.

Your best bet if you are concerned about the boiler being upto temperature for a set time ( say for expample 21 degrees at 7am) is to set the optimisation setting on your controller to on.

That shoudl "even out the bumps" so to speak temperature wise.

Failing that I would set the thermostat to come on 15 - 20 minutes earlier than required. That way when you get up, regardless of the external temperature outside, will alwys be warm.

the other thing you could do is turn down the temperature of the radiator circuit when it is mild and up when it is cold outside.....performing your own weather compensation...

Just called worcester bosch technical support for advice on a weather compensator for my greenstar 24 Ri. They advised me that they don't do anything of that sort for my boiler!!!!
As I said in your topic on Balancing an Bypass Issues, the 18Ri and 24Ri do not support Weather comp; so there's no point pursuing this - unless you are willing to change your boiler.

Which room thermostat do you have?

yes its all very frustrating, one hopes that a big company like worcester bosch would have your interests at heart..but it seems not...

yes its all very frustrating, one hopes that a big company like worcester bosch would have your interests at heart..but it seems not...

they do, but as alreasy said, their cold weather sensor is low voltage, honeywell dont do one, either in this country, you could try danfoss, et. al

I think you are missing the point here the PCB won't take an out door sensor of any voltage as it is designed out of the board.

This boiler cannot be sold in Germany because it does not take an out door sensor.

You could fit external weather comp using a mixer after the boiler but it wont be as effective as on board compensation in the boiler.

The Ri is a basic product. alec is inferring it is below par but he has a weather compensation obsession. I am not joking, reading his posts you would think WC would bring World peace, not to mention resolve all boiler reliability problems in a single stroke.

The Ri is a reliable unit but if you wanted WC a boiler made by Viessmann, such as the WB1B, would have been a better choice.

The savings aren't that significant, in Alec's beloved Germany their housing stock has been built with better insulation for years, and that suits WC better in terms of what it can achieve.

When WC becomes compulsory over here, half the OAPs will freeze to death because they won't be able to work the controls.

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration simon...(although I do think compensation controls do make a much better heating system, as do my client!)

in fact the better the insulation the less the need for out door sensing, so it is ideal for the UK's poor housing stock.

I have lots of OAPS with weather compensation and they like it precisely because the don't have to meddle with it...

No not at all...if people are fiddling with heating controls then its because the system is substandard

this is what a client said to me:

We are comfortable, and twiddling the dial is not a problem, and there will always be days when you just feel you need more heat-input regardless of ambient conditions.

That's good to know, I've always thought of that as being a possible stumbling block when going from on/off controls.

Do the controls you fit have a simple way off boosting or over riding for those customers that want it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back