Wall growing up through floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

In an upstairs bedroom, I noticed the floorboards are not all flat. There are two lines of "humps" where they had been pushed up. I removed the floorboards on one of them and found underneath the top of a block wall that the joists are seemingly resting on.
The problem is that top of the wall is higher than the joists!

Does anyone know what is the likely cause? The house was built in 1970. Could it be some kind of subsidence? I haven't noticed any cracks externally but don't know whast else to look for.

I'm thinking of chipping off the top of the wall and putting the floorboards back but don't know if that would be storing up problems in future.

Any help very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have any issues chipping away the top of those blocks to get the floor level.

Has this issue always existed or has it only recently come up (no pun intended)

The bricklayers just did the beam filling a bit too high, and the chippies have banged down the boards. You can take out the brick and blocks and lower it easily enough if you want to get the boards down a bit. If you try and chip a bit off them insitu they will just get loose anyway, so it's easier to lift them out first.

Is that my landing?

I don't know who is laziest, the brickies for not cutting the blocks, the chippies for not knocking them off ..... or me for just carpeting over it all :oops:

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.

After trimming down the blocks and bricks, do I need to ensure that when I fill between the beams/joists that the bricks/blocks are wedged tight inbetween as they seem to be now and do I need to worry about mortar or anything like that?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back