Wall mounted electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just moved into a newly built house. In the living room, I have a blanked plug socket. Three feet to the left of this on the same wall is a fused spur (13amp fuse). I have purchased a wall mounted electric fire, an am wondering if I can hide the power cord effectively and safely.

Would it be appropriate/legal to remove the plug from the fire, feed the wire through the conduit from the blanked socket to the spur, and connect up the wires to the appropriate 'load' terminals? I do realise that this would invalidate my warranty on the fire.

The alternative is to replace the blanked socket with a regular socket, but this looks quite unsightly and I'd like to avoid it if I could.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Removing the plug won't invalidate the warranty, and certainly won't effect your statutory rights.

Sponsored Links
Hi - yes the FCU is only protecting the blanked outlet. There are no other sockets connected to the 'load' terminals.

One would assume then it is there for exactly the purpose you propose.

That was my guess as well - just wanted to be safe rather than sorry! Thanks for help, I'll go ahead and do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back