wall mounted electric fire.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have installed a new wall mounted electric fire, owing to spacing issues i havent quite been able to leave as much space above as i would like to have done. hence i would like to fit some kind of heat deflector to direct the heat outwards a bit rather than all upwards. preferably something not too big that will not stand out too much, any ideas ?, thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the fire actually direct heat upwards? Most electric fires are actually fan heaters that blow down/forwards.

images

Sponsored Links
I'll have you young whipper-snappers know that they were extremely popular in bathrooms (and sometimes kitchens, too) when I started in the industry.

So popular were they that they got a mention in the Regs.

14th Ed: D. 17 No stationary appliance having heating elements which can be touched shall be installed within reach of a person using the bath or shower.

15th Ed: 471-39 ..........No stationary appliance having heating elements which can be touched shall be installed within reach of a person using the bath or shower. For the purpose of this regulation the sheath of a silica glass sheathed element is regarded as part of the element.

I remember fitting new elements to these heaters!

As well as the linear heaters, there were also circular heat & light units, still selling today: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/ceiling-heater

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My new house has one of them heat and light units in the toilet. Thinking of keeping it lol.

Yes, much better than the draft blowing dust burning fan heater ! :(

DS

I'll have you young whipper-snappers know that they were extremely popular in bathrooms (and sometimes kitchens, too) when I started in the industry.
When I moved into my present house, just under 30 years ago, every bathroom (and a few other rooms!) had one of them - and it was a good few years before we removed them all!

Kind Regards, John

Those wall mounted heaters people have in bathrooms are pathetic. I did take one of those circular heater/light things recently. Looked like a bit of a widowmaker to me

As per the quoted regs, they should be mounted out of reach from a person using a bath or shower.

Arm' reach was in the definitions in the 15th regs, but in true perverse IEE fashion, the distances were not in that definition. 1.25m horizontally or 2.5m vertically.

I've got one of those in my garage/workshop. Rescued it form my mum's house. Probably 30+ years old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back