Wall mounted radiant fire in bathroom

rlc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to have a "radiant fire" mounted on the wall assuming its in zone 3 within the bathroom (assuming supplementary bonded correctly)?

I not totally sure the name is correct but it's one of those which typically has two bars and a pull cord from below. Something from the 60's possibly.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the type my father has in the bathroom.

When I looked into it a bit, it seems that in Zones 0-2 certain IP ratings are required, but not in Zone 3.

The NICEIC man saw it when doing my on site inspection there and didn't comment either, so it would seem it is ok.

Having said that, the general 'fit for purpose' test probably suggests its not a great idea. My father only has a bath, and not a shower, so steam and/or spray is less than it might be too. In a small room with an over bath shower and no extraction it could probably be argued that its not suitable for its intended use.

Gavin

Yeah I agree with your "fit-for-purpose" point - I had a CU replaced about a year ago and the sparky said it wasn't allowed and removed it before he would sign-off his work - no problem with that at all and thinking about it , it probably fell into zone 2 anycase - just wanted to see if for any r4eason these "radiant types" are not allowed.

pcboffinuk said:
The NICEIC man saw it when doing my on site inspection there and didn't comment either, so it would seem it is ok.
Gavin

What jobs did you submit for inspection? Was he checking supp bonding in bathroom?

rlc said:
What jobs did you submit for inspection? Was he checking supp bonding in bathroom?

A CU change, and a CU change with a more or less complete rewire (both parent's houses)

And yes he particularly checked supp bonding on both jobs. In fact that and the Main equipotention bonding were two of the things he was most careful to check.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Most importantly, what do the manufacturers say about the siting of their products?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back