wall mounted workbench [ANSWERED]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy,

I've cleared out my garage and would like to build me a proper workbench. I know how to build one, but I accidentally came across wall mounted workbenches like in this link.

I like the design because my workshop is in the garage and: a) it's very unlikely a leaky roof or dampness would affect it (e.g. one of the lower corners seems to have some dampness due to the neighbour's garage/ extension sans planning permission) and b) I can easily sweep/ vacuum under the bench to keep dust to a minimum.

I would not copy the linked workbench ad litteram (e.g. round supports, lighting) but would mount it at the end of my brick garage (2.5m wide) and use around 5 supports with a heavy 61cm wide worktop. I mainly do woodworking and would use it for everything except with my table saw.

Has anyone built or used something similar and did they notice any "weakness" as opposed to one supported directly on the floor?

TIA,
A

Sponsored Links
Supported that way it will only be useable for light work - so no chopping out mortises or dropping a gearbox on it to strip down as anything which involves hammering or carrying heavy weights would surely pull it off the wall

Seems a lot of work to make for a simple bench?

Mine is just a chunk of 4x2 screwed into a corner with one leg where it is unsupported.

Imho the most important bit is getting the correct height and ensuring that any vice has room for long things to stick out

Sponsored Links
You can fix it to the wall on the back, but why not have legs at the front? If necessary you could hinge them out of the way.

At least have one under the vice (if any)

Wall fixings may loosen in use.

How about a few gallows brackets?
Yes; this is how I would have built the supports but out of wood. However, they are still anchored to the wall.

You can fix it to the wall on the back, but why not have legs at the front? If necessary you could hinge them out of the way.

At least have one under the vice (if any)

Wall fixings may loosen in use.

I'm not opposed to having legs, I just thought the design is useful for aeration and sweeping under the bench. I'm not sure I can hinge the legs as I want to fix a mitre saw, bandsaw and other stuff to it.

my leg is simple 4x2 and not really an issue with sweeping.
You could buy a metal single/pair of legs?

One thing is to fit a lip so stuff doesn't roll off - size depends on what your use is - but leave a small gap to help sweep stuff off the bench.
I did consider making a "plughole" with a bag or hard container hanging underneath and a flush lid on the work surface. Add a metal surface somewhere.

mine is mainly DIY and classic motorbike stuff.

Thanks - looks like everyone thought it's not a sturdy workbench so will be going with the leg based design. Great idea about the plughole - I think I'll add a container to one of the sides near one of the brick support pillars.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back