Wall & pier flaring out at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I bought a property in June. There is a problem with the left hand side, end corner, garage wall. It is a single garage, standalone, single skin, brick built 1960ish.

At the corner pier, i have seen the wall flare out at the top, since i bought it 6 months ago. The picture is a couple months old and the gap has worsened. There are no visible cracks (inside or out), it hasnt separated at the bottom (inside or out), it hasnt affected the other sides/corners of the garage. The door and frame are sound, with no wet or swelling. The roof is sound too. I have now removed the brackets from the downpipe. It just flares out at the top and appears to be getting worse.

Any ideas or answers would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
If its a pitched roof, then that may be pushing the wall out.

However as its recent and continuing, its most likely foundation movement. Check nearby drains for leak or deal with any nearby trees (roots drying ground)

This post belongs in the building section where you would get more replies

I'd go with woody on this:trees, gulleys and roof spread:

1. definitely examine the RainWaterPipe gulley(s). 1950's/60's build gulley's probably dont tie into main drainage.

2. Does one side/wall of the garage - the side with the movement on - have separate doors and compartments running along it?

3. Is it a hipped roof?

4. When you say a "single garage" then it doesn't share a party wall and the roof with a garage next door?

5. are you referring to a brick pier or a thin panel of brickwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back