Wall socket switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've now worried myself sick about this situation so would value some input.
Recently I put up some bookcases. Very tall, very heavy and placed directly against the wall with about maybe a 5-7mm gap at the back where the skirting prevented them from being flush.
Now, I placed these bookcases directly in front of a double wall socket. I'm now worried that the switches are being either turned on, or even worse, being semi-depressed into the socket.
Is this a genuine worry and should I remove the bookcases and put in a blanking plate?
Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Or fittinga 25mm+ baton at the top of the book case to a) make it stand straight and b) allow a seperation between socket and whatever part of the bookcase is pressing on it.

If the socket switches have simply been pushed on and there's nothing plugged in it wouldn't really be an issue. If the bookcase moves / sways against it, then longer term that's not really very good.

Thanks Chri5.
I suspect the switches might be getting compressed into the body of the switch rather than just being switched on - I suppose this is dangerous?
If the bookcases weren't such a bother to get in place I'd look straight away.
I think I will now!

i personally wouldn't worry as there's no complete circuit
unless you think the socket is being bashed to bits[very unlikely] there is zero chance off danger as a dead circuit switched on and off is safe as houses

Sponsored Links
i personally wouldn't worry as there's no complete circuit
unless you think the socket is being bashed to bits[very unlikely] there is zero chance off danger as a dead circuit switched on and off is safe as houses

Ah, okay. So, if the switches were being slightly pushed into the body and may be switched on or even crushed they would still be safe enough?
Could you explain the 'no complete circuit' part; I presumed that if the switches were on then a circuit was being completed?

Thanks for the reply.

Provided the sockets are not damaged you should be okay - you can always replace the socket with an unswitched version if you wish.

I think big-all's reference to 'no complete circuit' is that there is no appliance connected to the socket via a 13amp plug.

If the bookcase was vertical from the skirting, it wouldn't be anywhere near a socket plate that is fitted to a sub surface back box.

Straighten up the bookcase with baton that matches the depth profile of the skirt (20mm, 25mm etc).

Thanks for all the replies. I'll most likely move all the bookcase and replace the socket with a switchless. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back