Wall Storm damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the forum, mainly just lurking for DIY projects but I need some advice about the front of my house.

The recent high winds where driving the heavy rain at the front of my house (See pic), in the morning when I came out to go to work there was a fine dusting of sand on the path. After consideration I decided the sand was my wall! Are there any clear/colourless treatments I can use to seal it or help protect against weathering. I'd also like to treat the rear of the property which is a 2 brick thick (no cavity) brick wall to help with insulation.

Sponsored Links
Really I would not worry about the weathering - I certainly would not advise using any sealers in attempt to slow it down. IMO they are likely to cause more harm than good.

Your wall 2 brick thick is I would think around 9" thick and is actually a 1 brick thick wall (the term refers to the length of the brick). Again, a sealer is not a good idea. Better would be to use an insulated plasterboard "drylining" inside to provide better insulation.

+1 how old is the pointing??? any close up pics at most you could repoint if the pointing is bad have a look at EWI systems for inside

Sponsored Links
+1 how old is the pointing??? any close up pics at most you could repoint if the pointing is bad have a look at EWI systems for inside

Pointing isn't that old and is in good condition, I did it when we moved in 6 years ago, parts of the back were repointed only last year. I meant to do one section which is in next doors back garden but forgot about it. Most pointing is missing in that little section so it's quite noticably damp in the boiler room after a rain.

I was just very worried when I saw all the sand on the path out front, a house up the road has suffered very badly from weathering over the last 4 years and lost lots of the wall but it looks like it was rendered at some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back