Wallpaper Match

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having great difficulty hanging the wallpaper in my living room recently.

The information provided with the paper says Repeat 16cm with the offset symbol. Nothing else

So I picked a header. Cut my first piece labeled it (A) then matched the second piece up against it cut and labeled it (B) it was getting late and natural light was poor so I decided to cut a few drops in advance rather than pasting hanging.

Hanging them today, what a nightmare. The pattern Does NOT repeat every 16cm, it repeats on the same drop every 68cm.
The pattern is not a half drop match as I originally planned out for. Each individual drop matches 16cm down from the previous diagonally instead of the usual up down up down. It's a multiple offset match as I understand.

The wallpaper wasn't particularly expensive and luckily it's in my own livingroom but I am a bit P'd off that I'm going to have to fork out more money for it. Chances of a refund are minimal I guess?

Is there not a symbol for this type of match? Am I missing something really basic here? How are you expected to plan out a paper like this without massive amounts of wastage?
Any recommendations welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20160625_194956.jpg
    IMG_20160625_194956.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20160625_163931.jpg
    IMG_20160625_163931.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Could you post up two bits at 16cm to compare the results

Technically, the offset match pattern and the repeat distances are separate symbols, although in general they will usually go together. What you have is an offset match, which should be offset by 16cm, whereas what you seem to have planned for were design repeat/offset distance symbols (usually marked as 64/32 or 32/16, etc, next to the offset match symbol). It's a very easy mistake to make and is one that you don't tend to make again - especially when you have to work with very expensive wallpapers.

Try googling for an image to download/print that shows all of the symbols, so that you can refer to it in future. Unfortunately, I don't think the symbol(s) you have will be on any of them (exactly as it appears on the roll), unless they have changed recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back