Wallpaper paste..??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simply asking - is it a case of 'paste is paste' or is the dearer branded stuff any better than the cheap stuff?

If i was doing it myself i'd probably just get the homebase cheapy paste.

Thing is, a chap my wife knows who is a decorator is travelling quite a distance to paper our ceiling & walls & this thought has just come to me now.

I don't know if the cheapy stuff makes the job any harder or whether it makes sod all difference. There's the saying you get what you pay for but at the same time on certain things cheap stuff can be just as good as the dearer stuff.

We already have the paper in. It's a mixture of paste the paper & paste the wall if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No, it is not just a case of 'paste is paste is paste'.

There are starch based wallpaper pastes and non-starch based. |There are paste the wall paste, and paste the paper pastes.

Open one roll of wallpaper and read carefully what it says on the back of the label - it will tell you what sort of paste to use. If you come back and tell us what it says, we can advise you as to the best makes. What make of wallpaper is it, out of interest?

Sorry for the delay. I kept forgetting to note what it said.

I had a look at one roll & there's nothing on the back of the paper, but on the labelling this is what it said...

Sponsored Links
Just a bit of a Q&A session here as i thought of a few things...

1. Does everything need to be sized or only new stuff? The vast majority of the room has had paper on before. It's only...

That newly plastered piece that hasn't.

My wife things that only this new section will need to be sized as the rest has had paper on before. I'm thinking perhaps all of it needs sizing.

2. We've scraped all the paper off the walls but do we need to go to town removing all the residue as well?
We removed the paper at the start of the year. If you feel the walls with dry hands then it's all dry. A bit sandy as it's old (i guess original 1930s) plaster, but dry.
Touch it with damp/wet hands though & it feels tacky.

In short, can this just be papered on to (once the does it need to be sized as it's previously been papered question is seen to).

3. I have lots of Dulux SuperMatt surplus that's going to end up going to waste. Can this be painted on 50/50 mix to the newly plastered piece prior to sizing? Will this not make any difference whatsoever & it'll not benefit or harm anything (i.e. waste of time doing)?

Thanks.

If all of it is to be papered, then size it all even if you don't think it needs it. It wont do it any harm !
If you have paint you can use, then paint everything with that and it wont need to be sized. Its only to stop the porosity of the surface so it doesn't suck the paste off the paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back