Wallpapering a chimney breast, but fireplace isn't central.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm going to wallpaper a chimney breast which is set at 45 degree angle in the corner of a room. The previous room I completed had the same arrangement, but the fireplace was located in the centre of the chimney breast wall and so I had three drops, the middle one running dead central to the fireplace. In this room the fireplace is offset by about three inches and so I'm unsure what is the correct option is. Do I again run a drop central to the fireplace with another drop each side of that and a further three inch drop on the wider side of the fireplace or should I use just three drops which line up centrally on the chimney breast?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
To be honest it's impossible to offer the correct advice without being able to see it, try placing an unopened roll onto the wall and mark with a pencil to try and determine your starting point.

Dec

Dec,

Thanks for the reply - Ive posted a photo in an album and here's the link
//www.diynot.com/network/tallpaulc/albums/

Ideally and the easiest option is to run my centre drop of three in the centre of the chimney breast which would leave two equal drops either side with about an inch to trim off, but would this look right? Most articles I've read say you should centralise everything with the feature.
You can see from the skirting in the photo that the fireplace is located slightly left of centre on the wall.

What's the pattern like on the wallpaper? A small horizontal repeat such as thin vertical stripes or small swirlies probably wouldn't notice but a bigger geometric pattern might.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it's the sort of pattern you'll notice being 3" off-centre so long as you can't see the joins.

Looking at those pics I really can't see any reason why your first drop should not be in the centre, looks pretty straightfoward to me. Another option would be to strike your plumbline in the centre and hang from either side of the line.

Dec

Reading your post again go for option one and place your first drop in the centre.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back